shown in other instead.
Autodesk FBX Import Plugin
FBX import plugin allows for adding content stored in FBX format directly into Unigine engine. The plugin converts FBX assets on the fly and loads a variety of elements:
- Polygonal geometry
- Full elements hierarchy
- Functions of the AutodeskImport class that can be used when the Autodesk FBX import plugin is loaded
How to Load FBX Plugin
To load FBX plugin in the Unigine engine, open the SDK browser, go to Tools -> Plugins for 3D Editors -> FBX Plugin and click Run.
Another variant is to specify FBX plugin on the engine start-up:
- In the launcher for your Unigine project (*.bat or *.sh file), specify the following engine plugin:
main_x86d -extern_plugin Autodesk
- Open Tools -> Plugins and press Core button to see the list of available editor plugins.
- Choose import/autodesk.cpp to load the plugin interface.
FBX import plugin is now shown:
How to Import FBX Assets into Unigine
After loading the plugin, you can start creating your world from FBX assets right away. To load a FBX scene into the Unigine engine:
- Copy FBX assets under <UnigineSDK>/data folder. This step is recommended if you want to save the Unigine world with converted meshes and textures.
- Click Load button in the FBX plugin window to load a FBX scene into the memory.
- Specify the path to the *.fbx file.
- If necessary, load an additional animation from another FBX file by clicking the Animation button.
- Check import options (if materials, animations, etc. do not need to be loaded).
- Click Add to scene button to add a loaded scene into Unigine world.
- If materials are imported, specify the path to the existing Unigine material library file (*.mat).
|Load||Loads one scene from a FBX file into the memory. After it is loaded, you can click Add to scene button.
|Animation||Loads an FBX animation file.|
|Info||Displays information on the loaded file:
|Add to scene||Adds a loaded scene into the Unigine world. Loaded data is saved from memory to the disk (if a source FBX file is stored under data directory). What data is saved depends on the selected import options (such as Import materials, Import animations).
|Vertex cache||Performs vertex cache optimization. This option reorders an indexed triangle list to improve vertex cache utilization in run time. It can be turned off for a quicker saving; however, it should always be turned on if saving the final version.|
|Import joints||Imports the hierarchy of the joints (bones) for animated FBX assets. Joints are imported as a hierarchy of Dummy nodes. If this option is disabled, imported animations for a mesh still work.|
|Import lights||Imports light sources from a FBX scene into Unigine:
|Import cameras||Imports cameras from a FBX scene. They are converted into PlayerDummy (cameras without physical properties). Both types of projection are supported in Unigine:
|Import materials||Creates materials for the imported scene. They include the following textures:
|Import textures||Converts textures into Unigine-ready DDS format are saves them into the textures folder. This option requires Import materials option also to be checked.|
|Compress textures||Compresses textures and creates mipmaps, if necessary. This option requires Import textures option to be checked as well.|
|Import animations||Imports animation for animated FBX assets. Skinned animations are saved into separate *.sanim files. To control the animation for the last loaded asset, choose the animation in the Anim drop-down list and drag the slider at the bottom of the plugin window.|
|Verbose operations||Displays a dialog if meshes or textures need to be rewritten (when a FBX asset is added into the Unigine world for the second time or more).|
|Anim||Lists available animations for the currently loaded FBX asset.|
|Mesh||Adds a prefix to the name of created meshes. For example, with a prefix my_, a mesh MeshName will be imported as my_MeshName.|
|Material||Adds a prefix to the name of created materials. For example, with a prefix prefix_, an imported material will be named as prefix_MeshName.|
|Texture||Adds a prefix to the name of created textures. For example, with a prefix prefix_, an imported texture will be named as prefix_TextureName.|
|Scale||Scales the imported asset.|
|FPS||Sets FPS for the imported animation.|
|Time||Sets the frame for the imported animation. You can also set it on a time line by dragging a slider.|