Warning! This version of documentation is OUTDATED, as it describes an older SDK version! Please switch to the documentation for the latest SDK version.
Warning! This version of documentation describes an old SDK version which is no longer supported! Please upgrade to the latest SDK version.
No language code for this page. You can select other language.
No language code for this page,
shown in other instead.
shown in other instead.
Stars Generator for Billboards
Stars generator allows for creating a starry night sky, with stars drawn fast on Billboards. It is found on Billboards node → Stars tab.
Billboards with stars
How to Create Stars Billboards
To create stars billboards, follow these steps:
- Add Billboards node.
- On the Stars tab, press Catalog load button and choose a FK5 stars catalog (the Fifth Fundamental Catalogue).
- Make sure that the Radius of the created sphere with stars is not bigger than the camera's far clipping plane (Tools → Camera tab → Far clipping). Otherwise, stars will not be seen.
- Click Create button to create billboards.
- Click Texture button and choose a location to save a texture atlas with stars.
- Create a material for billboards with stars:
- Inherit a material from billboards_base.
- Assign it to ObjectBillboards.
- Go to States tab → Options and check Angular size box. The stars will appear on the sky.
- Set up rendering of the stars billboards:
- Set Ambient pass to Transparent (otherwise, the stars will be too dull).
- Set Deferred pass to Skip.
- Set all light passes (spot, prob, omni, proj and world) to Skip (not to light billboards).
- Go to Textures tab and load a diffuse texture: select the previously saved stars texture.
- After changing any parameter in the star generator, click Create to reload a texture in the Material settings.
|Count||The maximum number of billboards to create. If there are fewer stars in the loaded catalog, fewer billboards will be created.|
|Radius||Radius of the sphere with stars billboards.
To see the stars, the Radius should be smaller than the camera's far clipping plane (Tools → Camera tab → Far clipping).
For big worlds, stars Billboards also needs to be attached the camera (made a child node of the player) to avoid any clipping.
|Angle||The angular diameter of stars:
|Catalog||Load a FK5 stars catalog.|
|Latitude||Latitude of the point to view the star sky from.|
|Longitude||Longitude of the point to view the star sky from.|
|Location||Choose a city to view the star sky from.|
|Create||Create stars billboards and reload the texture, if it was set in Materials settings.|
|Clear||Delete all stars billboards.|
|Texture||Save an atlas texture for stars billboards based on the loaded catalog.|
Last update: 2017-07-03
Help improve this article
Was this article helpful?
(or select a word/phrase and press Ctrl+Enter)