Cloud shading of moon LightWorld influenced by rotated disabled sun LightWorld

photo

Hello,

we have discovered a bug in the shading of the cloud implementation which leads to bright unrealistic bottom shading of clouds.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create 3 LightWorlds in Editor, two for sun and one for moon scattering.
  2. Reset rotation on all 3 lights.
  3. Turn 1 sun by 180 degrees arround X.
  4. Disable both sun nodes.
  5. Add cloud layer cumulus to scene.
  6. Enable sun node which has 180 degrees arround X. (Bottom of cloud will be shaded brighter)
  7. Disable sun node which has 180 degrees arround X. (Bottom of cloud still be shaded brighter)
  8. Enable sun node without rotation.
  9. Disable sun node without rotation. (Bottom of cloud looks like expected)

Bug reproduced from 2.14.1 to 2.15 alpha.

Deleting sun nodes does not help.

API DirectX has been used.

sun_0.thumb.PNG.9b62eb7c2cfd18804b197d42146bdcbf.PNG

Sun wihtout rotation activated, then deactivated.

sun_180.thumb.PNG.f87aed4342d4c34a03901e3ff96793b4.PNG

Sun with 180 degrees rotation activated , then deactivated.

We would like to have a hotfix on 2.14.1 if possible.

Thank you.

Edited by sebastian.vesenmayer

Hi Sebastian,

Is the 2 WorldLight enabled simultaneously mandatory? I know that you can add as many WorldLights as you can (there is no any checks inside runtime / Editor), but they will always affect each other in unpredictable way.

I was able to get rid of this behavior by switching scattering mode to Short Distance (or Long Distance) in Windows -> Settings -> Environment. Can you check if this solution will work for your case?

We would need more time to understand what's going on with Physically based scattering to provide a proper /if we would fine any/ fix for that. I think it could take a week or two due to the current 2.15 release preparation routine.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi silent

48 minutes ago, silent said:

Is the 2 WorldLight enabled simultaneously mandatory?

2 lights for sun and 1 for moon is only for fast reproduction, this is still visible, when nodes get deleted or disabled, and we are also simulating moon and sun position according to the calendar so both can be active at once.

52 minutes ago, silent said:

I was able to get rid of this behavior by switching scattering mode to Short Distance (or Long Distance) in Windows -> Settings -> Environment. Can you check if this solution will work for your case?

I will try this first.

53 minutes ago, silent said:

We would need more time to understand what's going on with Physically based scattering to provide a proper /if we would fine any/ fix for that. I think it could take a week or two due to the current 2.15 release preparation routine.

It looks like uniform variables of the shader will not be set updated anymore, when deactivating a light source.

Thanks

1 hour ago, silent said:

Unfortunately this is not changing any shading on my side, it still persists.