Box projection environment probe with mesh transparent PBR material

photo

Hi,

I have a room with a large internal window in the corner. The space behind is dark, so reflections are prominent, and it's important that the reflections are representative. I am representing the glass using a semi-opaque mesh transparent material. The problem I have is that the box projection is not applied. See the attached for a test case I've created - this has the opacity at 100%, so it's a mirror in both cases - the only different is that I have switched from mesh opaque to mesh transparent.

Is this expected behaviour? Is there any way to resolve this without resort to processor hungry solutions?

Many thanks

Edit to say: it also appears to have disregard for which environment probe the surface is in. If there are other transparent surfaces inside other environment probes then as the angle of view changes it jumps around from one environment probe to another...

Opaque.png

Transparent.png

Edited by AaronBerney
Further info

Hello!

On 10/21/2023 at 3:42 AM, AaronBerney said:

Is this expected behaviour? Is there any way to resolve this without resort to processor hungry solutions?

You're right and this behavior is by design primarily because of the parallax feature which does not work with transparency at all. Unfortunately, there is no immediate workaround that can be implemented. The only solution is to use dynamic reflections by implementing a Planar Reflecting Probe if your window is actually flat.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

The planar reflection probes seem pretty much prohibitive for a VR project, so I've taken matters into my own hands with this:

GlassSimpleParallax.thumb.png.701a2be97d83effe4449b3da92276e99.png

This gives me two things: it gives me absolute control over which cubemap to use for reflections, and also gives me simple parallax (not a full cuboid projection). It works, but I haven't looked into the impact on performance. Of course it looks far more involved as a graph than as just '(V / V.N - 2 N) d + O - P'.

I have to create a child material for each window that I want to treat this way - and copy in the probe centre position, but I like the level of control I get.

The fact that this is possible makes me curious as to why parallax is not supported for transparent materials...