Hair Shader - Artifacts when camera moves

photo

Hello,

I had a quick look on the art samples again in 2.16 and noticed that the new hair shader seems to generate artifacts, if and while the camera moves further away.
Are the hair cards the problem which causes this affect? It seems to be visible with and without temporal filtering, so I guess this is not the root cause.

- Yes, I messed up with the material to make it clearer, but you can see this also in the unmodified samples.

Hair.thumb.png.5d93e793591e77ceeb098ca07d052c52.png

Thanks in advance

Edited by ShadowZelda

Hello!

These effects are the result of a combination of features such as temporal reprojection, denoising and temporal anti-aliasing.

Unfortunately, this is a fundamental problem that is inherent in any 3D engine, as it is impossible to make the effect looks perfect without breaking something nearby.

You may notice that the behavior becomes more stable when TAA is turned off (render_taa 0) and it will no longer depend on camera movement, for example.

However, disabling TAA will make the scene visually unappealing. Therefore, the current result is the best that can be achieved within the available technologies.

Thanks!

Hello @bmyagkov

Thanks for the answer.

I figured out that it is caused by the opacity, specifically the Opacity Clip Threshold. A video might have shown the problem better.
If I disconnect this part from the material and save the .mgraph, it works like expected and is usable for my purposes.

Thanks and kind regards.

• Like 1

Hello!

Yes, indeed, this could be a solution, but in this case, the hair will appear thicker and it will not be possible to completely get rid of artifacts during camera movement. However, the number of artifacts will be reduced since denoising will not be used in this case.

If this solution is suitable for you, it could become a viable option.

Thanks!