Load cache textures slow on first startup

photo

Hi,

In my Unigine project (2.15.1) I have a lot of textures and materials, when I launch my project, the first startup is much slower than the next ones. The part Load cache textures is the one that cause this.
For the first startup I have :
ssd_first.png.a24b9c3d5fb3829bc76442abcf561dc8.png

For the second :
image.png.16b5f87ae3d43038b5ba87ab560beb81.png

After a reboot, it will be slow again, like a part of the cache is destroyed after a reboot and regenerated at the first launch. Is there a way to avoid this since my textures won't change? The rest of the log is the same for both startups

Thanks in advance

Hi Pierre,

That's how OS filesystem cache works. First launch of *any* application will result in a slow disk access. After that next attempts would be much faster. Also any active antivirus protection may slowdown the filesystem work (Antimalware Service Executable on Winows is one of that).

If you 100% sure that all of the cache textures are being generated and stored on disk you can pack them into a single ung package using the Archiver tool. But this method will not work for the project that is in active development stage - newly added textures from user side will not be stored in the .UNG archive and will print error message in console each time new cached texture is being generated.

To pack directory into UNG you can do the following:

1. Copy ung_x64.exe into the data directory of your project
  2. Execute the command:
    ung_x64 -d .cache_textures
  3. .cache_textures.ung would be created and you can remove .cache_textures directory from the final shipment

Thanks!

• Like 1

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi Silent,

I tested to pack .caches_textures into UNG and remove the directory in a final shipment and it seems to work perfectly!

Thanks!

Edited by Pierre_Bultingaire