Edge bleeding

photo

Hi, I have just installed this engine for the first time to take a look, and from the first second I noticed some kind of light/color bleeding all over the edges. I disabled antialisaning to see it more clearly. Take a look at the image. Is it normal? I never noticed this type of problems in other engines.bleeding.thumb.jpg.94e48267ed6f81896d3bca6322f33131.jpg

nitrooo

The resolution is set in the main viewport is too low and you can see the aliasing very closely. Try to set DPI Scale to 100% in Windows display settings and restart the Editor. After that enable anti-aliasing back (since it should fight with aliasing).

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi, thanks for reply. I changed my windows desktop dpi setting from recommended 150% to 100% but working on a 4k monitor in such a way is inconvinient because systemwide fonts and buttons are too small. After that I enabled antialiasing, tried supersampling, ultra settings and everything I could find and there is always this bleeding around all the edges. Of course it is less visible but it is always present and all antiliasing techniques just smudge those light pixels. To me it looks like lighting calculations or some kind of postprocessing were done in a different resolution than the main color buffer and there is a pixel mismatch. It just looks bad. I noticed this effect in "Superposition" demo too. The taken screenshot shows this effect egain (dpi 100%).

bleeding2.jpg

These highlighted and darkened edges are just a result of environment probe effect and chamfers that are baked in normal map. In this default world primitives don't have real geometrical chamfers. Instead they have normal map with baked chamfers. In the attached image on the left - a cube with hard edges and baked chamfers, on the right - a cube with geometrical chamfers. As you can see there is no such effect on the right one. This is absolutely normal, that is how shading works. It will look the same in any engine
image.png

• Like 1

Thank you for the answer. Now I can see that this is caused by the normal map. Maybe default world primitives should be more detailed to not scare away newcomers. Anyway I couldn't resist to check this case in Unreal. I Took the cube with normal map and imported it into Unreal. I have to say that it just looks better. Those light pixels can be noticed sometimes at some angles but generally it looks much better. I will experiment with the Unigine more, thanks.

unreal.jpg