[SOLVED] SSR and Planar Reflection

photo

Hello There,

Please take a look at following image...

image.thumb.png.02bd0196a27bdab89309e4331e2816bb.png

image.thumb.png.42f9bee33d7be7742c4451d6e67872dc.png

SSR is ON.

When Camera is far the effect is as expected. When camera is close and cutting the frustum, look at reflection in second image at right side. How to solve this artifact?

Second question is I want that the mesh below should give SSR for all the objects except material ball and material ball will only give planar refelection. How to achieve this?

I need this because when we apply alpha blend the things changes dramatically and SSR gives wrong results. BUT planar is still good. So for my virtual studio solution I need my Plane holding video should pull planar reflection and other objects are fine with SSR.

Please advise.

Rohit

Hello Rohit,

19 hours ago, rohit.gonsalves said:

When camera is close and cutting the frustum, look at reflection in second image at right side. How to solve this artifact?

Which artifact do you mean? The cutting of a reflection? Or the distorted reflection that we can see on both images? Please, mark area of interest with some signs in the future. In other words, what's your question about? 1st or 2nd areas?

image.png

If about the 1st one. More likely this is caused by mesh with bad normals. We need to see this content to help.

If it's about the 2nd one. All Screen-Space effects have artifacts near the viewport border. They can be compensated with render border parameter (SDK 2.6+). Type in console render_border 10 and increase the value until the desired result. In earlier SDK versions you can use AppBorder plugin: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.5/principles/render/appborder/

Source code of this plugin is available here <sdk>\source\plugins\App\AppBorder

19 hours ago, rohit.gonsalves said:

I want that the mesh below should give SSR for all the objects except material ball and material ball will only give planar refelection. How to achieve this?

Use bit masking for this: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.5/principles/bit_masking/#reflection_mask

Thanks.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Thanks Morbid

What artifact do you mean? The cutting of a reflection? Or the distorted reflection that we can see on both images? Please, mark area of interest with some signs in the future. In other words, what's your question about? 1st or 2nd areas?

I was actually thinking about problem 2. Sometimes not mentioning areas of interest helps much better ;-)

Area of interest 2 is answered and behaves nice. I will check about normal's of a mesh and will update here.

Will check about Bit masking too.. But sometimes it becomes little confusing.

Regards,

Rohit

• morbid changed the title to [SOLVED] SSR and Planar Reflection

Dear Morbid,

Things are solved for me but probably I found a bug.. In documentation

To render an object without a reflection, either its viewport mask or its material viewport mask should not match the camera's reflection mask.

For me viewport mask worked. But masks from material not working. Just to notify.

Rohit

Rohit, it works.

Not sure what do you meant. On the attached image you can see single mesh with 2 surfaces. Viewport mask for red cube material is set to "2", plane reflections mask is set to "1".

Everything works as documentation states:

To render an object without a reflection, either its viewport mask or its material's viewport mask should have no matching bits with the planar reflection's viewport mask or the camera's reflection viewport mask.

image.png

Thanks.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Dear Morbid.

Yes It works.. But for me it worked when I changed the Viewport Mask..

But it didn't work when I only used its material's viewport mask. Hopefully in code both things are checked. But it seems not. This is in 2.7.3.1. 

So test it for 2.9 I need to renew my subscription.. :-)

Regards,

Rohit

• 3 months later...

Hello my friends! I have one question, - Can i get rid off artifacts from SSR!! I know that i can use planar reflection, but i need SSR solution! It is possible?! Does Unigine dev will implement SSRR (raytracing reflection) solution in near future?!

SSR.jpg