Motion Blur

photo

I've attached two images of the motion blur effect.

In the "Motion Blur Chase" image the camera is following behind the aircraft.

In the "Motion Blur Ground" image the camera is on the ground and pivoting to follow the aircraft.

Two things are noticed:

1.  There is a fringe around the aircraft of blurred pixels.

2.  This fringe does not appear against the blue sky, only the terrain and objects.

I'm wondering if there is a way to improve the visual quality of this effect in cases like this.  The fringe is distracting during play.

Also, is there any way to quickly visualize the velocity buffer?  Can we throw it into an onscreen viewport?

Jim

post-1173-0-26108800-1457040957_thumb.jpg

post-1173-0-56039900-1457040959_thumb.jpg

Hi Jim,

Motion blur (as well as TAA) is working noticeably better with higher framerates. 60+ stable frames per second will give you more accurate results. 

Also, is there any way to quickly visualize the velocity buffer?  Can we throw it into an onscreen viewport?

Sure, just type render_show_textures 1 in console. If you want to see more detailed buffers textures - use render_show_number 3 && render_show_textures 2 command. Also, you can enable single fullscreen buffer visualization inside Unigine Editor (in Rendering menu).

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

We are having a hard time getting the fps high enough that we do not notice these issues.  TAA is an even bigger problem, but we feel like motion blur is more important visually.

Anyway, won't the same artifacts be present in screenshots even at a higher fps?  Is there anything we can do to improve the effect?  It seems like there should be a way to keep stable parts of the image from being blurred into parts with high velocity.

Jim

Also we tried using the console commands to show the velocity buffer.  The "render_show_textures 1" command provided a display of buffers as you mentioned but I couldn't find the velocity buffer.  I saw a grid of viewports but none of them looked like they had the right display.  Which one is it?  

Jim

Hi Jim,

jim.bourke, on 04 Mar 2016 - 9:33 PM, said:

Is there anything we can do to improve the effect? It seems like there should be a way to keep stable parts of the image from being blurred into parts with high velocity.

Try to use console command render_motion_blur_quality 1 if this won't help try to increase Motion blur depth falloff parameter on Postprocess tab in Rendering settings