Terrain Shader hacks

photo

Dear Unigine community,

we are struggling at the moment with the limited number of textures which can be used for the terrain.

Unfortunately we cannot wait any longer for a terrain system update, so we have to use the existing system.

Therefore I would like to adjust the shader source code and create my own terrain material in order to get in another texture which can be used for bringing in additional details.

The problem I'm facing now is that the terrain/fragment_base_ambient.shader uses all 16 texture slots, so i cannot just declare an additional texture in the shader and access it via the material (it seems that the texture registers/slots >= 16 cannot be set through the unigine material system)

My question:

Can I replace one of the detail textures or the coarse diffuse texture by a texture array? (I know what I need to change in the shader files)

Are 2d texture arrays supported in the editor (well just loading them from dds files, I don't need to see them on the screen) or do I have to assemble them manually and pass them to the material via unigine script?

We are using only the direct3d 11 renderer.

Thanks in advance

Helmut

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Helmut,

Terrain with more than 4 materials (with textures array approach) will be introduced in the next SDK update (ETA: September). Please, bear with us and wait a little bit  more to get this functionality.

Unfortunately, I can't give you any useful advice on shaders hacks right now, since all our team is focused on adding new features and quite busy right now.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: