how to set materials to be transparent?

photo

great! the leaves looks better, but , there is another problem by this setting, the shadow is rendered all wrong. take look at the screenshot.

post-49-0-46885200-1292377032_thumb.jpg

better leaves, wrong shadow

post-49-0-95626400-1292377049_thumb.jpg

correct shadow

correct shadow was unmodified setting,

wrong shadow use this:

post-49-0-20211400-1292407859_thumb.jpg

Seems I've understood what happened here, because I didn't check the alpha test, so the shadow pass rendered all leaves as full opacity. that's why shadows is wrong.

Seems I've understood what happened here, because I didn't check the alpha test, so the shadow pass rendered all leaves as full opacity. that's why shadows is wrong.

Ok, so your problems are gone, right ? performance wise I would recommend to disable blending if alpha testing for foilage is sufficient.

Ok, so your problems are gone, right ? performance wise I would recommend to disable blending if alpha testing for foilage is sufficient.

Just an explanation of the performance penalty. With non blended and alpha tested materials the objects can be drawn to screen in any order. With alpha blended objects the objects have to be sorted first and drawn from far to near as you can imagine this does add a bit of overhead to the scene especially when you have a lot of objects.