[SOLVED] bone_offset in mesh_bone_base

photo

We have converted some of our animations to use mesh_bone_base as per the sample files and are happy with what we can achieve.

one question though - what exactly does the bone_offset do and how would I calculate speed of motion on an smesh using this technique assuming I want the objects to move at a specified number of meters per second?

also I have hit a major inconsistency between behaviour of this shader in OpenGL vs DirectX11. (I haven't tried other versions of DirectX).
With further investigation it appears the problem happens in direct3d when bone_offset is less than zero.

Hi Danni!

Sorry for late reply. Could you be more specific about mesh_bone_base? Is that a shader? I can't find anything related to mesh_bone_base neither in samples nor in shaders.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Danni,

Sorry for the late reply.

Bone_offset shows a shift relative to the bone. If bone_offset value = 1, the bone takes the position of neighbour bone.

As for flickering, could you try to decrease bone_offset value? If offset is too big it may cause flickering effect regardless of API.

ok - interesting though I am definitely getting the problem with one API and not the other.

but basically If I limit myself to  0 < range < 2*num_bones I shouldn't have issues and get a nice loop right?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Danni,

Sorry for the late reply.

There might be some issues in the following cases:
 - bone_offset value < 0
 - bone_offset value is too large, so shift is ignored as an accuracy error
 - shift of bone_offset value is too close to 1/-1, so the animation is too fast and it causes the issues

Otherwise everything should be fine.