[SOLVED] Large polycount meshes with custom user normals?

photo

hi! i'm curious about the possibility of exporting "user normals" with meshes - i'm wondering what costs more performance/effort : meshes all retopologized, normal mapped and tessellated or just highpoly "render-meshes" into engine? in UDK or cry , there is limit and hustle when meshes have more than 65k vertices. in unigine i can import a 13 mio. poly file at once, and performance is kind of stunning imo - even shaded. - so for real-time presentations of industrial things , which are mostly to poly converted CAD-data, (often those things consist of very many parts - and retopologizing and baking everything for highest possible quality in engine, is quite some effort.) - now the question is , if it was possible to import user normals into unigine, to avoid needing normalmaps or tessellation at all, and have highest possible qual. rendering ? - does it even make sense? Fbx files can store user normals, but with fbx plugin, unfortunately they get lost. usernormals were great for quick realtime-presentation of high poly CAD data. has unigine even any interest in such? , would it be a big deal to implement ? btw. - any plans for supporting alembic? regards Phil

ah - ok - but maya 2012 is latest exporter i got - in office , i had only maya 2013 and 2014 - so i couldn't test , - thanks! 
so it does actually work :) :)

ok, the .mesh format does store the correct normals - i can export from maya and reimport - everything fine in maya viewport ,.. but in engine it is not correct.
unfortunately i cannot upload pics or .mesh example here, but i could send you with e-mail. (maybe you can give me a mail-address where i can send it?)

the problem seemed to be caused by scaling/precision issues.
after rescaling/positioning everything is fine ,.. :) - thnx