Ai3D Steamship simulator - circa 1910 - WIP

photo

Hi All,

Thought I would post some screenshots of our current project.

The project is to create a steamship simulator for use in a maritime museum. There are currently 6 missions to choose, in varying weather conditions, times of day and tide forces.

Number of artists 2

Number of coders 2

Project Managers/Artists 1 code / gamelogic and 1 art.

Timeframe: 6-8weeks.

We are using Ungine's AppWall and Syncker to produce graphics for 7 large portrait screens in full HD. (These screenshots are from 1 screen only). The museum is building a full size replica wheelhouse of a steamship from 1910. Where the windows in the wheelhouse are will be the 7 portrait HD screens.

There are 3 PC's running combinations or GPU's, 1x GPU for each screen.

Input will come from a range of custom devices. such as full size replica steering wheel, gears, horn etc.

Will post more in the coming weeks.

post-73-0-39132600-1358995299_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-66747200-1358995274_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-80454400-1358995313_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-40931700-1358995342_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-19543500-1358995352_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-00000500-1358995361_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-70298500-1358995372_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

¡Very nice!

Just two questions:

- Apart of volumetric clouds, have you used a sky box or an ObjectSky at day time?

- How big is the terrain area?

I hope you will be able to show some videos in coming weeks.

Thanks Ulf, thanks to the team. It's not over yet. Many bugs to squash.

Steve Brodie

Me

Danni Coy

Andrey Viktorov

Troy Pinkerton

David Harris

Thanks for the compliment Ivan,

no volumetric clouds.

just fog at night.

- skydome + object sky / scattering (clouds disabled) + billboard clouds

- mesh terrain. not unigine terrain. we are lucky that the missions are contained to the ocean and not too far up river. We chose to use a standard mesh object (cut into pieces) to control accuracy of terrain as this is the method our artists are most comfortable with for speed. It is based in a real world location, built from current survey and modifying the landform according to old maps to guess where the 1910 river bank was.

However, we are looking  with 100km farclip and obj distance in the day.

Will get some video of all the screens in action (as soon as Danni has it running correctly)

• 4 weeks later...

Small update. Higher level overview from one of the showcase camera paths.

Appwall and synker, not the final screens or computers, just a debug version running in our studio, we ran out of screens... (our artists are not happy now.. as they only have one each.)

;)

post-73-0-03613900-1361191120_thumb.jpg

Initial test of a half hour crack at an automatic mega screenshot button... 8400x1920...

Needs some tweaks.. but will be super handy..

Now if only we could play back video at that res...

Will post high res images later in the week from the player camera angles. Apologies for the crappy phone photo in the previous post, will update that soon. Was just happy to see all the systems we built finally playing nicely together.

(Will update with full res soon. Posting from my phone.)

post-73-0-38669000-1361193596_thumb.jpg

Correct binstream, we are yet to tweak the appwall based screenshot tool. Player bound particles are not showing up in the side projections of the tool yet.

The wide shot above was for proof of concept. - this tool will work to generate large res, corrected panoramas from low end computers with single screens.

You guys could use something like that to take a massive panorama of valley..

Hi Shane,

We are almost through optimising the art at the moment and are at a smooth 25+ fps on the heaviest night mission with all code running. We are yet to optimise the night lights (+ couple of fps here).

The NPC code is also on the list to be tuned up and if we can make a gain on this (which is quite costly on update - due to the amount of calls for the buoyancy hacks), I am expecting to gain 5-8 fps from optimising the update code overheads; (which we would use extra frames for either AA, more draw distance on clusters or more physics).

Currently we are not testing now on the final pc's as they have been shipped for installation (and they have much better gpu's than we do). Though we are gaining frames each day now that all the content is in and are optimising.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for the compliments.

Yes, Ulf, it can make you nauseous with the constant motion of the swell, even though there is no motion in the floor.

I had made some tweaks to the settings before I took the screenshots, such as draw distance, which helps sell the overall appeal for a static screen grab.

If I was asked to do it all again for the same price, I would say definitely not, we now have a much greater appreciation for what is involved in making something run 99.5% of the time without a crash. The hardware interfaces with software and hardware network arrangements were quite difficult to get working together all of the time. Even after much debug, there is a crash at least once a week from something on the network not responding.

Steve and Danni had lots of hair at the beginning of the project, I have on several occasions had to clean up large piles of it around the bottom of their chairs...

The art looks great, the ships are great for the time that was budgeted. Big thanks to Dave Harris, the lead artist on the watercraft, Troy Pinkerton for the reconstruction of the terrain (both of who do not seem to use the forum much), to Andrey and Danni Coy coding, and Steve Brodie for making the thing go.

Thanks to the Unigine crew for any assistance during a rushed project.

There were other consultants on the project that did great work also; the design and fitout, and provision of the customised historical hardware.

Some photos attached of the simulator:

post-73-0-50947500-1370302514_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-97181000-1370302525_thumb.jpg

I should go and make a video...

For those that don't know, the red headed lady in the picture is our Australian Prime Minister.. that's some great exposure guys!