Landscape Automaterial

photo

Hello all,

Just wondering this, is there a way to create automaterial for the landscape.

Meaning with this to write a script which let's you update the landscape material based altitude, surface angle etc.

Right now I create a landscape in Blender and create masks for it in terresculpter, but the problem I am facing is that materials dont update when I manually adjust the shape of the landscape on certain spots, for instance I flatten a mountain but the mask still adds the steep slope material to the flat spot.

Any help in the right direction would be nice.

4 hours ago, VuilbaardGames said:

Hello all,

Just wondering this, is there a way to create automaterial for the landscape.

Meaning with this to write a script which let's you update the landscape material based altitude, surface angle etc.

Right now I create a landscape in Blender and create masks for it in terresculpter, but the problem I am facing is that materials dont update when I manually adjust the shape of the landscape on certain spots, for instance I flatten a mountain but the mask still adds the steep slope material to the flat spot.

Any help in the right direction would be nice.

Hello!

As I understand you're asking for procedural masking but unfortunately there is no such a feature embedded at the moment.

Indeed, it could be done by some custom code, but I can't really call it just a "script" since it would require advanced programming C++ or C# skills.

As a starting point you can look through our  "CPP Samples" demo where we demonstrate possibilities of using API for ObjectLandscapeTerrain and it's brushes to create and edit an object. Pay more attention to the "Paint" sample, which shows roughly what you need but not quite the same.

landscape.png

Thanks!

Thanks for the response, I will check out the sample.

There is no way of creating materials that are applied automatically depending on height and/or angle?

14 hours ago, VuilbaardGames said:

Thanks for the response, I will check out the sample.

There is no way of creating materials that are applied automatically depending on height and/or angle?

Actually, one of our developer accept this topic as a challenge and has done some sample for you which is probably will appear as demo scene in one of the following update.

14 hours ago, VuilbaardGames said:

No, but with method mentioned above you can control what exactly detail should be displayed at the selected mask height. Like on the picture example below:

image.png

There is material specifies 4 heights for each mask: first value where mask is starting to appear, second is start of maximum value, third is end of maximum value, forth where is mask end to display. In the first and last interval, the mask fades linearly from the extreme of the interval to the beginning of the maximum value.

Please find sample in attachment to this message and this video as a demonstration of the result.

Thanks!

terrain_paint_2_16_float_community.zip