how to create a .path ?

photo

• werner.poetzelberger changed the title to how to create a .path ?

Hi Werner,

The only artists-friendly way to do it was to use 3ds Max Export plugin: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.14.1/tools/plugins/3dsmax/

Right now it's not supported since there were some changes in 3ds Max API and plugin no longer work with modern versions. Here's the old sources:

As an alternative you can ask your dev team to write a similar plugin for your DCC tool, since path file basically consist of the set of coordinates. For Blender exports you can use different approach:

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi,

Another way to move an object along some path (if it is what you're looking for) is to use the SplineGraph feature.

This approach implies that an artist creates a desired WorldSplineGraph in UnigineEditor and saves the result in a .spl file, and the dev team can prepare the needed functionality of moving the object along the loaded spline graph.

spline_graph.gif

Resources on the topic:

Thanks!

Just a short question to SplineGraph and .path-files. Will there be a convertion support directly in UNIGINE where we can convert SplineGraph data into .path files and vice versa? I investigated the .path file in the past and the advantage (for me) was to move some spline-movement-workload to the physics system (like the train_00 example)? But it wasn't easy to test because external creation of .path-files was a little bit cumbersome to do.

@werner.poetzelberger for the spline movement system with the SplineGraph, you can of course contact me. I have some source code here that already provides you this feature if interested. :)

Just a short question to SplineGraph and .path-files. Will there be a convertion support directly in UNIGINE where we can convert SplineGraph data into .path files and vice versa?

We didn't think about this type of conversion, honestly :) But I guess it wouldn't appear in the nearest future as a default built-in functionality.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

5 minutes ago, silent said:

We didn't think about this type of conversion, honestly :) But I guess it wouldn't appear in the nearest future as a default built-in functionality.

No big deal. I just saw the only advantage for the physics part. So we will stick further with our own implementation.

45 minutes ago, silent said:

Just a short question to SplineGraph and .path-files. Will there be a convertion support directly in UNIGINE where we can convert SplineGraph data into .path files and vice versa?

Actually I was trying that ;).

I am not sure if and how .path works and if it make sense. 
The idea was just to create a rapid prototype of animated objects along splines.

For our project we will need to create the paths in Blender and find an appropriate way to xport those anyway.

I think the splinepath would be a candidate for a prototyping tool, not for the final project as creating splines in a scene is way to unprecise and to laborius.

If there would be a functionality to move the nodes over time, that would be an addition.
Similar to other path tools, in percentage e.g., but also with a looping function, so that the object reaching 100% of the path loops back to 0 then.

Actually its the first tool in the Editor, with which you can create some generic animation which is cool for visuals, but it would need some more features.

3 hours ago, thomalex said:

This approach implies that an artist creates a desired WorldSplineGraph in UnigineEditor and saves the result in a .spl file, and the dev team can prepare the needed functionality of moving the object along the loaded spline graph.

Yes. for prototyping that would make sense.

1 hour ago, christian.wolf2 said:

@werner.poetzelberger for the spline movement system with the SplineGraph, you can of course contact me. I have some source code here that already provides you this feature if interested. :)

Thanks Christian. We have that implemented already, but if you want to share your code, maybe we can learn something. ;)