Impostor Grass Texture with 4 Num Textures

photo

I know how to design a 4 Num Texture for normal grass.

Does a 4 Num Textures - Texture look the same for an Impostor Grass Object?

Phi Theta set to 1 in the Material?

Btw. Can you pleas elaborate a bit the differences Grass - Impostor Grass objects.

I want to use the impostor grass for High grass cover. I guess its so much better as it has many more shading possibilities.

The regular grass is really unsophisticated in shading terms. I am finding it very hard to bring the regular grass together with other objects, as the shading differs soo much.

So would you say, that the impostor grass is the 'better' grass method?

best.w.

Edited by werner.poetzelberger

Hi Werner,

The textures between grass and imposter grass are not compatible. The imposter grass material has slightly better shading for sure.

Did you have a chance to check the Foxhole demo (it should be available in Engineering editions)? It's quite big, but you can take a look how the forest and grass are made here.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Its a bit big. uhm

Is it possible to just see the Textures for a Impostor Grass?

Best.w.

I know the impostor textures and how to bake them.

But grass is different. As it uses a 4x4 tiled texture for the variations and the mask channels.

An impostor texture basically does the same x,y raster for phi and theta. So I was wondering, how to design a grass texture for a 4x4 variation (channels) texture but as impostors (As the impostor is choosing the x,y or phi theta according to the angle). So it has to be some kind of 3D texture, when I want to use variations and the impostor effect (angle change).

I dont want to use the angle behavior anyway, but I guess I am thinking too complicated.

I use a 1x4 texture (x,y) now as for the regular grass with Phi 1 and Theta 4 in the material and a NumTExture setting 1.

Which does work in a way.