Integrations - SpeedTree 5.2 SDK

photo

Hi Team,

Given the new terrain system ideally it would be good to see engine integration for licensed users of SpeedTree 5.2 SDK. It would save us having to build this integration in-house.

Thanks,

Cory

We would like to support this proposal ! I know that Alex favoured another solution based on WorldCluster/Clutter and simple SpeedTree mesh geometry import, but with this approach most of the key SpeedTree advantages are lost

• vertex-based ambient self-occlussion of inner tree geometry
  • optimized LOD management and super-smooth geometry/billboard blending
  • highly-optimized tree mesh and billboard rendering with angle dependant texture atlas diffuse/normal cross-blending
  • more realistic wind-animations

As Alex already implemented SpeedTree geometry import within just one day, I think a deeper SpeedTree render integration wouldn't be too hard for him. Maybe UNIGINE could also used their contacts to the Primal Carnage Team at Lukewarm Media, as they already announced a UNIGINE SpeedTree integration.

Primal Carnage UNIGINE SpeedTree integration

• 2 weeks later...

I've just requested SpeedTree's eval, from the source, it seems that fullly integrate the speedtree in to unigine need a loot work.

Sure, its work, but comparable code for SpeedForest frustum culling functionality is already available in UNIGINE ObjectGrass and WorldClutter and Alexander already managed importing SpeedTree geometry and textures.

Creation of specific UNIGINE materials with comparable SpeedTree shader functionality (e.g. vertex based AO of inner tree surfaces, smooth LOD transitions between geometry and billboards, more complex bone-based wind animations) is non-trivial, but this is exactly the reason why its best done by UNIGINE !

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Speed tree integration is something we have been keen on for a long time.

Unfortunately, Primal Carnage will no longer be implementing speed tree.

Yes Speed tree integration is something we have been keen on for a long time.

Unfortunately, Primal Carnage will no longer be implementing speed tree.

Based on Alexanders announcement for improved vegetation rendering

UNIGINE's new implemention seems to be quite close to SpeedTree rendering level (I think they already use SpeedTree tree geometry in the demo). Wind animations and smooth mesh fading/transitions are really cool.

Only thing missing might be SpeedTree smooth geometry to billboard fading, support for view-dependent multi-aspect billboard atlas and efficient billboard culling/rendering for tree counts > 10000+.

well, I had to say that import speedtree geometry and texture to unigine is very very easy. :) ;)

but the problem is transition from geometry to billboard. also, there might be some problem for leaf card billboard rendering.

well, I had to say that import speedtree geometry and texture to unigine is very very easy. :( :blink:

but the problem is transition from geometry to billboard. also, there might be some problem for leaf card billboard rendering.

I am quite sure that UNIGINE crew will address these features in one of the upcomming releases to show their special capabilities (may be also as a statement to the primal carnage team).

UNIGINE already has coded SpeedTree geometry import and mapping to UNIGINE meshes and materials. The new video shows nicely animated leaf card billboard rendering, smooth LOD blending and the wind animation is now on same level as SpeedTree wind.

i still got one more question, speedtree uses a pre-rendered billboard texture, so does this means the new sdk will support speedtree's spt file, and this pre-rendered billboard texture?

enable the impostor flag on each tree is not efficent as the pre-rendered billboard texture.

if that's true, wow~~ I cann't wait to get this new sdk. ha ha~~

current the tree rendering is a pain for us :(

Leadwerks Engine GDC2010 presentation shows very powerfull forest rendering. They support automatic 6-side-billboard texture atlas creation for 3D tree geometry and 3D geometry to billboard transition at user-specified distances. Would be great to see something similar in UNIGINE as a next-step extension to the upcomming vegetation smooth LOD fade / wind animation features. Shouldn't be too hard as impostor rendering is already available.