Detail Mask by channel value and rotation setting for detail texture

photo

It would be great if we could get a mix between the Detail Mask by channel and albedo.
instead of only being able to isolate one whole channel, or one RGB value (with a certain range) we could have access to being able to stack up to 256 sets of up to 4 values per texture.
this would allow us to have one mask texture for everything. we can have up to 256 different elements, like grass, sand, etc; so we can have 1 channel dedicated to a specific task like assigning materials (R:=052 = grass, R=035 = sand, R=135 = forest ground, etc).
Creating additional detail masks reusing the same texture from the texture atlas, but assigning a different rotation would be good too, since this would allow for textures with directionality to be placed a certain way. 
this would be used together with the previous feature request above and take up a second channel to allow us to make additional masks for various rotation values, saving you from having more mask files, and also saving you from having the same texture multiple times, rotated in the same texture atlas
both of these suggestions would allow to reuse assets more, in order to hopefully end up with a greater amount of capability and run on less assets

and already answered before as no, but muh substance integration

Edited by fmaslofski
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, morbid said:

Hi fmaslofski,

our team is working on a new terrain object and, actually, we're looking at detail masks in the very same way! Of course, I'll add your suggestions to the terrain improvements list.

Thank you for sharing!

We are now writing extractor for masks/height map from terrain objects via unigine api.  Does this mean, that after rework of terrain global, change will be so significant, that we have to do it again?

3 minutes ago, morbid said:

Hi @demostenes,

it's not a rework, it'll be a new terrain object with new API. I think I mentioned this in one of our previous discussions?

This means that your custom tool will work with terrain global only.

Ah ok, now i get it, i thought you are remaking terrain global. And what is use case for the new terrain object? Terrain suited for manual editing and smaller locations?

We're currently deciding when to make the jump to TerrainGlobal. We don't need any of its features, we just don't want to get stranded when TerrainObject is removed. Should we wait and move directly to this third terrain scheme instead?

Hi Greg,

in 2.8 ObjectTerrain (the old one) will be removed. If you want to use terrain you'll have to migrate from ObjectTerrain to TerrainGlobal on 2.7.x, then migrate from TerrainGlobal to the new terrain.

As far as I remember, you created a custom shader for terrain to make it transparent. Migration to the new terrain will require additional work on this. Have you tried using mesh instead of terrain? Could be much easier to maintain.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Will TerrainGlobal stay, or will it too be removed once the third terrain is in place?

Do you really think it would be easier to replicate the whole complex lodding system than to adapt the shader for transparency?

19 hours ago, Greg.Mildenhall said:

Will TerrainGlobal stay, or will it too be removed once the third terrain is in place?

There's a big chance that all Terrain Global objects would be migrated to a new terrain via Landscape Tool. More likely in 2.8 terrain global will be deprecated.

@demostenes, please, pay attention to this.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Ok, good to know. Thanks.

Btw, terrain technologies are lately changing very fast. Is there any chance, that after this rework it will stay stable for while? We dont even finish adapting to new system and there is onother one comming...I want to do big terrain overhaul, to take advantage of all new features.

Edited by demostenes