[SOLVED] Creating landcover masks from vector data

photo

I'm trying to create a landcover mask from OSM data we're using, and I don't think it's working properly.  For a test case, I am using farm fields with an OSM landuse layer containing all of Denmark.  I create a tag, set the parameter for the fclass ID ("farms"), specify an output path, leave the default density at 10, and select a single channel, which is autofilled with "farmfields", like the tag I set.

When this completes, it places the .tif file into "Masks" portion of the Landscape editor.  This is fine - at least it's working, but I want to open the mask and see how it did.  It may be important for us to edit these slightly before actually generating the landscape.  

My test .tif masks have been nothing but single band, all-black images.  I suspect this is not right, but if I select more than one band, the image does not generate at all.  I've also tried creating three different tags (forest, residential), setting each tag to a different band, but in this case the image still does not generate.

Also, I cannot set anything other than 10m density or else the image does not generate.  I would like to use 1m, because it's only vector data, so in theory, I should be able to go as detailed as I want, right?  We are creating a small test landscape for our project that consists of only a small island, but this data is part of OSM layers for all of Denmark.  Is there a size/data limitation here?  If so, I could just delete everything else besides the island we need.  However, in the future, we'll be working with some very large data sets because of the actual project's terrain area.

We were pretty excited to hear it is now a supported feature, as we can now use super-precise OSM data (which we can edit easily) instead of generating masks off imagery.  Some recommendations and guidelines for rasterizing this vector data would be very helpful. 

Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry to make this post even longer than it is.  Turns out I was using the wrong OSM dataset.  I attached a picture of part of the mask, and it's really good, but it's only at 10m, like I mentioned above.  How do I do 1m rasterized masks? 

EDIT 2: Alright...now I am unable to create any masks at all, despite having done so before.  The "rasterize into landcover" window simply closes and nothing happens.  I am following the exact same process I used to create the farm mask.  I even tried redoing the farm mask, and it is not rasterizing.  

rasterizing_farmfields.PNG

10m farmfields.png

Edited by david.norlin

Hello David,

sorry to hear that this feature caused so many troubles.

11 hours ago, david.norlin said:

I cannot set anything other than 10m density or else the image does not generate.

I believe this happened due to a UI bug. You are not limited in density, that was the crucial point of the rasterizing feature. Just turn red channel on\off and "Ok" button will be enabled. By the way, we've already fixed this.

11 hours ago, david.norlin said:

Alright...now I am unable to create any masks at all, despite having done so before.

This sounds strange. Let's check a couple of things:

• do you have any errors in log after attempting to create mask?
  • does new file appear in the specified folder? or literally, nothing happens? 
  • can you reproduce this after editor reload?

By the way, if you creating your rasterized landcover in data folder - don't forget to tick "unchanged" for the created file. Otherwise, your .tif file will be compressed into .dds, that wouldn't work for landscape tool. However, we've changed this behavior in the upcoming release.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Good call on looking at the console - I was out of space on that drive and it was returning an error.  No wonder it wasn't generating...way too much imagery and geodata on the drive!.  I was able to successfully generate the masks after clearing some space and all is well. 

9 minutes ago, morbid said:

By the way, if you creating your rasterized landcover in data folder - don't forget to tick "unchanged" for the created file.

Thanks for the heads up.  I am exporting them to an external folder for later editing and tweaks, so that hasn't been a problem.  

Overall, this is a very impressive feature and it is going to help us so much.  Expensive, super high-res imagery is not affordable for our team at this stage, and just by testing OSM data this evening, I am already able to get very intricate features like precise tree lines, vegetation that closely follows streams and rivers, little clumps of trees, and great detail all around.  It's pretty awesome.  

Anyway, thanks for the help!

• morbid changed the title to [SOLVED] Creating landcover masks from vector data