What I am missing in material editor

photo

1) To be able to blend more textures, at least 3 (1st base, second tiled for detail, 3rd for decal like effect)

2) Normal substitution for blended texture

3) Displacement for blended texture, not only basic. Same for emission.

Typical use case rock covered by snow or sand: The first texture for basic shape, second with high tiling for detailing the stone, third with displacement and normal substitution + world transform mapping for snow/sand coverage.

Use case for emission: Lava stream with different uv scroll speed for cold lava and hot lava under cold lava (emission).

I also miss displacement of textures on object terrain. I was trying to recreate some procedural snow, but currently it is probabably not possible. Or is there currently way, how to do something similar to this without manual shader editation?

I also think, that this leads to some node material editor....because there is huge ammount of possible combination and not possible to covery every use case by standard set of shaders.

Edited by demostenes
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14. 11. 2017 at 3:47 PM, sergej.koptev said:

Could you suggest any approach to snow simulation - on terrain, on static/dynamic objects, with current engine functionality?

Use two textures, main and detail. Detail would be snow with parallax height. And via tracker control ammount/type of blend of these two textures. You should have some blend mask in alfa, or stand alone. Terrain global should have parallax textures too (cant verify, I have non-sim licence), so this should be possible both for terrain and meshes. Anyway I am not sure, if tracker can control terrain textures.

Scene on video is much more complex, there are at least 3 textures (ice, snow, ground...).

21 hours ago, demostenes said:

Use two textures, main and detail. Detail would be snow with parallax height. And via tracker control ammount/type of blend of these two textures. You should have some blend mask in alfa, or stand alone. Terrain global should have parallax textures too (cant verify, I have non-sim licence), so this should be possible both for terrain and meshes. Anyway I am not sure, if tracker can control terrain textures.

Scene on video is much more complex, there are at least 3 textures (ice, snow, ground...).

Thanks a lot, Demostenes! I'll try it over some time. If any success - I'll let you know.

And for this detail coverage on meshes use world transform mapping + angle fade. I am using this for example for sand/snow on meshes. Current problem is, that Unigine supports blend of only two textures, so it is quite limiting. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2018 at 6:22 AM, demostenes said:

Triplanar world transform detail texture maping (perfect for creating non repeating detail to more instances of same mesh, for example walls)

Yep, that's already in our features list as well :) Will try to rise priority for that.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

• 8 months later...
On 11/14/2017 at 3:47 PM, sergej.koptev said:

Could you suggest any approach to snow simulation - on terrain, on static/dynamic objects, with current engine functionality?

Other idea, not out of box, but snow can be added as post processing effect - screen space snow. Not sure if possible to add some real height like in samples above (texture can be used for sure), but even thou it looks surprisingly good and because it is post process, it will work with custom shaders too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urb8hgFhHkM

Code inspiration:

https://blog.theknightsofunity.com/make-it-snow-fast-screen-space-snow-shader/

Edited by demostenes