Normal Map for Terrain

photo

Hello Everyone

I have a Problem with Normal Creation.

When i use my Terrain in the Editor and then rotate the Sun from one side to the other (like Morning to Evening) then just one side get's lighted correct.

i tried to work with masks, alpha channels and even layers in .psd files to try to make this work correct.

any objections on how to create the .psd file correct to make the terrain lighted in every sun position correct?

Thanks for ideas!

Attachment: Screenshot of Normal in Ressource Editor

post-56-043295300 1283017948_thumb.jpg

One idea would be to use UNIGINE clipmap command-line tool to revert normal.tex from the provided terrain sample in <UNIGINE-SDK_ROOT>\data\samples\objects\terrains back to .psd image format and analyse the resulting psd channel layout. Maybe this will reveal the correct psd format for your normal map (assuming that the terrain sample shows correct lighting from all directions).

Try something like

clipmap_x86 -r -d -o normal.psd normal.tex

See clipmap tool documentation for details.

• Like 1

Thank you Ulf for that fast help.

However, the sample terrain is not lighted specialy

there is a screenshot on the unigine page, which looks pretty good and shows basicly what i want to create also.

maybe is there a build of that project available? B)

--> http://unigine.com/screenshots/city4.jpg

Basicly i not only have that problem with the Normal Map, it's also the Mask, which needs a 16 Channel Image. That's fine, i created one by hand in Photoshop with Calculation Feauture in Photoshop but it doesn't change anything (for the Palette Paint).

it would be nice to have a Sample Normal and/or Mask file from the Screenshot above or so :)

Hi Denis

Yes i know, i can't wait for that ;-)

so not only the terrain editor gets integrated to the Editor, it also will have some changes according to shading and stuff? cool.

let's have a look on it then again.

However, meybe i will dongle here again then about how to create those shading maps correct ;-)

Let's see in a week :)