FBX support

photo

Is it planned to add FBX format support to import models?

All autodesk softwares support this format natively and they also provide the SDK for free.

From my point of view support for too much different import formats just binds too much development capacity which should better be spend on core engine and tool developments. UNIGINE already provides direct support for numerous major import formats and there are plenty external format converters available. Also Autodesk tools always provide numerous other export formats than FBX (e.g. COLLADA) so it should be no big deal to get the data into the engine

We have looked at FBX SDK a while ago and it wasn't very good as well as support of all FBX features by different Autodesk software. Things might be changed now, but we prefer to provide direct export plugins for 3dsMax, Maya and Softimage.

In autodesk's 2012 release, fbx have changed a lot. I just reviewed 2011.3 version.

But as ulf said, FBX always support collada export and import, so I think unigine should support a more common format than just fbx.

Almost every 3d application has collada export, but only autodesk's software has native fbx support. So, I think ungine should make more compatible to collada format.