Add options to Import FBX via editor

photo

Hi,

i like to have option on Import FBX in editor to set, that i want all skinned surfaces in fbx import to one mesh file, that means that import all surfaces to one mesh file, not like now, when each surface is imported to separate mesh.

Thanks

Honya

Reason is simple, there is no reason why to have all parts/lods of model in several meshes. As sample you can use for example file attached here:

https://developer.unigine.com/forum/topic/4156-unigine-24-beta/page-2#entry21868

For standard meshes there is already check box, which merges everything (without it I have all LODs as separate meshes), but it does not work for skinned meshes.

• 10 months later...

I dont understand reason, why each LOD of skinned mesh should be all the time single file. I can understand cases, when it makes sense (extra high poly LOD0 and very low poly LODx for big distance which will be loaded most of time, so it will save some memory and loading time), but this I can do anyway, it makes more sene for standard meshes and such cases must be chosen wisely with contex of whole scene. Creating some cascade lods is done in optimization step after finishing scene anyway.

Currently we are still using old 3dsmax plugin for skinned mesh import and this is starting to be not compatible with editor 2.6 workflow. We are stitching together parts of character via code and having all lods separated will make whole handling logic more complicated. And probably with lower performance, bacuse I would stich meshes 3x more often because of 3 lods without any reason.

So It must be under our control, how will be mesh imported.

Edited by demostenes