Shore waves limitations

photo

We were starting to experiment with new shore waves. Results are in some cases great, in some other it does not work as expected. What are limiations of this feature? What is the best approach to implement it? 

My expectation was, that it will create waves around whole island/continent (fig 1). But in reality waves are only one some places (fig 2). Is this suppose to happen? I am using one shore line object for terrain 12km*12km, terrain is similar to shape on the picture.

Thanks!

post-714-0-62874900-1471598655_thumb.png

post-714-0-24355300-1471598664_thumb.png

Hi Jirka,

This effect depends on a wind direction vector. You can to change a wind direction using rotating of global water node.

Also you can to fill a black color to R and G channels of FieldShoreline texture. After that foam will be render around whole island.

Thanks!

When I put black into R and G, it cases HUGE lags every few seconds.

edit: it seems there it does not like dxt5 compression from dds. photoshop plugin, I get cant get pixel from dxt5 image error in log.

Hi Jirka,

This texture should be uncompressed if possible. We will add option for shoreline grabber that will correctly generate texture for such use cases in 2.4 SDK update.

Thanks!

Ah, OK. No problem, I used png meanwhile. Thanks.

What R and G channel exactly does? It seems we will probably need to do some manual editing to achieve the best effect. I was thinking to manually edit this mask to determine which areas will have waves and which not (usually small islands etc...). Is it possible?

Hi Jirka,

In R and G channels there is a packed 2-component vector (X;Y) that points to the edge of the terrain. X and Y are changes from -1 to 1. R: 127 and G: 127 means zero values for X and Y.

You also can try to generate shoreline textures for other terrains and see how the values are filled.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: