[SOLVED] unigine to 3dsmax workflow

photo

I was used to use following pipeline:

1) Create something inside unigine, lets say manually place 150 rocks to create big rock surrounding city or building made from various walls, roof parts etc.

2) Export these objects as single .mesh

3) import into 3dsmax, merge surfaces with same materials into one, delete "invisible" polygons

4) import into decimator and create LODs, texture atlases, etc...

5) Import modified object with LODs, or LODs for this group into unigine

In many cases it had drastic impact on performance, LOD can have 1000 polygons and one surface, original group 300 000 and 300 surfaces (many instances of few objects). This kind of pipeline is typical for us, because our asset library is mostly like "lego" and level desingers are creating more complex objects from simple ones.

Sice removing import option from 3ds max this workflow is not possible anymore. I was also trying to export via .obj from resource editor, but it merges all materials into one, so export is useless.

This means, currently I am not able to do following performance optimizations, which is quite showstopper.

Hi,

If I understand you correctly, you can't find the way to import mesh to 3Ds Max.

But such functionality still exists in 3Ds Max plugins:

Please, check if it's still suitable for your pipeline or some additional functionality is needed.

Ah, thanks. I didnt notice import is part of system menu.

Anyway I tried the functionality and it imports .mesh as one "surface". It loses material information. So I cant export to any other tool or import back, because I lost texturing (when I use export unigine tools, exported object has one surface). The best solution would be to be able to load .node and after import see fully textured model inside 3dsmax. Or export from unigine to fbx with preserving texture information. Any workflow, which will get textured model into 3dsx max is fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...