[SOLVED] Paralax shader improvement

photo

Hi Jirka,

Parallax is very performance unfriendly effect. Sure, there is a room for improvements in parallax material, but right now it is not a priority feature, I'm afraid.

Tesselation is more performance friendly?

Hi Jirka,

It depends on overall scene complexity, tessellation factor and so on. For that particular usecase that you show on the screenshot (if you want to get correct lightning, SSAO and interscections) the best solution in terms of visual quality and performance will be to create meshes with required geometry in DCC tool and then just import it into the engine.

We understand the importance of the improving the parallax material - I've already added this feature to our internal TODO list.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Thanks, no problem. I am using parallax materials only in LOD0, so performance impact is small. When I have time, I will try to make performance comparison of paralax vs tesellation vs geometry on the same object. But it is very low priority for me now.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jirka,

I think you can already achieve that kind of look with existing parallax shading as well :) Or maybe you can specify what exactly special on this screenshot?

Thanks!

Edges. I wasnt able to achieve "connected edge". Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Hi Jirka,

Oh, I see. The "connected edge" currently can't be achieved if you are using regular meshes with sharp edges. Our artists prepared small sample (just create new project in SDK browser called parallax_sample and replace data with attached archive) to demonstrate similar effect.

The parallax shader that will provide similar results without modifying content (original mesh) indeed will cause significant performance drop, because of the complexity of algorithms.

parallax_sample.zip

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

• 1 month later...

hi Silent: Is that possible to have the cut out effect without modify the UV of the mesh? currently looks the cutout only happen at the edge of uv. check the image from your sample

post-1447-0-83122400-1464053983_thumb.png

• 2 months later...
  • silent changed the title to [SOLVED] Paralax shader improvement