Unusual Normal Map generation in landscape plugin

photo

Hi guys, we are having an odd problem with normal map creation in the landscape plugin tool.

When we generate normal maps from our source files (.png, also tried as .tif), they output a greyscale image in rgba format with an alpha map.

Any idea what we might be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Silent,

Our goal is to reconstruct the original Washington version 1 scenery (including height, diffuse, spec, and normal maps, as well as detail masks) for use in Unigine version 2, adopting the new methods. To do this we have downloaded the source data from USGS and other sources, and are working with worldmachine on a subset of this to test the process. In this example we are importing a single height map using the landscape plugin to create a 1x1 landscape. (this is to demonstrate the image format output of the plugin and is not necessarily to scale.)

Attached are the source normal map and the source heightmap files we are using to create this test. This is just one of many tiles that make up the terrain. Also attached is a screenshot of the settings used to create the landscape node and the settings used to import the source data. The landscape_import_settings.jpg file also captures the view in the editor.

I have attached the coarse normal map for the terrain (terrain_n.dds) as well as a few of the refined normal map tiles.

As you can see the height map imports correctly but the normal maps are output as RGBA with the same value on all channels (resulting in a greyscale image for the normals)

Please could you review the process and advise your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Ed

Attachments.zip

Hi Ed,

I can see that your normal map from attahment (terrain_n.zip) is actually RG8, so, I assume that it is a correct heightmap (two component heightmap for runtime).

You can check it with imageview tool from <SDK>/bin or directly inside Unigine Editor.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: