color mask, custom mask channels

photo

In computer games it is quite common practice to allow players to customize colors of various items (equipment...). When I have for example robe with some metalic ornaments, I use color mask to cover metalic ornaments to affect only fabric by change of albedo color.
Like UE4 Unigine is now using red channel for AO map, green for metalness map. Blue and Alfa are still not used (acording to my knowledge). So what about adding color mask support to alfa channel or adding it as optional parametr like emission mask?

Maybe it would be good idea to allow user to pick which channel from texture use, so I can pack all these additional (up to 4) masks into one texture no matter which combination I use. It would have big advantage, we can have dozens of various mask effects in future and  user can pack such masks efficiently.

Hi Jirka,

Thank you for the suggestion!

Such effect that you want to achieve can be done manually via shader adjustments (that will be released with a new SDK update). But more correct way will be to develop Node-based shader editor tool. With a help of a new render and new shader system it should be possible (but I think it is not planned for this year).

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi Jirka,

Thank you for the suggestion!

Such effect that you want to achieve can be done manually via shader adjustments (that will be released with a new SDK update). But more correct way will be to develop Node-based shader editor tool. With a help of a new render and new shader system it should be possible (but I think it is not planned for this year).

Thanks, great news. Node-based shader editor would be really nice.