tiled terrain height map edit

photo

When I manually edit height map on the border of tiled terrain, I create hole and it is almost impossible to edit second terrain to fit with the first. Question is, what to do? Modify terrain height brush to work with neighbouring terrains? Manual editation of height map on the border is rare, but unavoidable in the case of game. Level designers will need to adjust terrain little bit sooner or later (some road, event place...).

Other question is, if there is any performance gain/loss by using tiled terrain (1x4096x12km vs 4x2048x6km). I can imagine that some clutter masks will be smaller (half size like 2048 instead of 4096, etc), because such vegetation is only on one tile (so some clutters will be not "activated"), but it is really performance gain (I dont know how much effective is clutter algorithm in case of standing in empty part of clutter with closest clutter object several kilometres far) worthy of troubles with tiled terrain? Does anybody have experience with this?

• 1 month later...

Hi Jirka,

Sorry for the late reply.

When I manually edit height map on the border of tiled terrain, I create hole and it is almost impossible to edit second terrain to fit with the first. Question is, what to do?

Unfortuantely, with current terrain editor implementation it is indeed a hard task. Brush modifying for work with different terrain objects will reduce performance a lot. We will keep in mind this task for the new terrain editor implementation.

if there is any performance gain/loss by using tiled terrain (1x4096x12km vs 4x2048x6km).

It is really hard to say, because performance can depends not only on terrain tiles size, but the vegetation mask size, number of objects in frustum and so on. Theoretically, smaller masks and textures should be easier to load and maintain in runtime. If you already have a good performance with 1 large terrain I think it's better to stay with it.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: