Terrain textures tiling

photo

I am able to reach great result from close distance (high texture tiling), or from big distance (low value of texture tiling), but never together.

I thought, that LOD progression parametr will influent how close is detail texture blended/switched with coarse diffuse texture (having this close enough would solve this issue), but no matter what value I put there (progression/1st LOD), nothing happens. Currently switch from detail textures to coarse diffuse texture is happening cca 2000 meters far, which is IMHO too much (I have quite detailed coarse texture, so no reason to do it so far). Also visibility distance does nothing. Am I doing something wrong? Or this feature is not active yet?

I was thinking to use "problematic" material as parent for child with same texture with different tiling (which should simulate something like this http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/improved-terrain-texture-tiling.116509/), but I think, that switching from detail textures to diffuse sooner will be much friendlier from the performance point of view.

Hi,
If you want to blend materials with a diffuse texture you need to use overlay materials for a proper blending. It would be better to use parent material with low value of texture tiling and some child materials with a higher value of texture tiling.
Try to avoid of using one material on a large area, it may cause "flat" view of the terrain.

Also, Progression and 1st LOD parameters should work properly. Please, check it and in case of any problems, please, send us a test scene.

Also, Progression and 1st LOD parameters should work properly. Please, check it and in case of any problems, please, send us a test scene.

I tried in portangeles demo. I am changing parametres LOD progression, 1st LOD distance, visibility distance and absolutely nothing happens, not even pixel changes on the screen.

Hi,

In Portangeles demo diffuse textures aren't used, terrain is specified by materials only.

So it's difficult to check when textures have switched to a coarse level.

As a test, you can change a coarse mask for a single terrain to check these parameters.