New terrain engine questions

photo

It is planned to renew triplanar mapping for terrain? Ability to turn on triplanar for some chunks was really great feature. Also I would like to ask, if there is plan to support parallax mapping for terrain materials. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

What should terrain LOD parametrs do (1st LOD, Progression)? I ve changed these values and absolutelly nothing happens. No changes in terrain mesh, no changes in coarse texture distance (I would expect that it allows to tell engine how far are detail(layer) textures changed to coarse diffuse texture).

demostenes

According the documentation, 1st LOD is the distance when the terrain tessellation will be enabled. Please, check this article: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/1.0/objects/objects/terrain/terrain_optimization/. Currently this feature is working as expected. Setting this value too high will increase the number of rendered triangles per frame and cause the performance loss as well. You can check it on our terrain samples: objects/terrain_**.

Please, after changing the 1st LOD and Progression parameters hit Enter to apply settings. Maybe this is the reason why you don't see any changes.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Please, after changing the 1st LOD and Progression parameters hit Enter to apply settings. Maybe this is the reason why you don't see any changes.

Yes, enter works, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I think I found the issue. If I use 21 files for 21 layers, it works properly. Only if I use 6 files (4 channels), materials are mixed in wierd way (usually first channel is used for all 4 materials). I have of course import RGBA channels set.

I can pack such terrain, no problem.

Thanks for the sample!

I'm afraid it's a problem with rgb/rgba mask import.

This problem has been solved and fix will be available in next SDK update.

Sorry for inconvenience.

It does not seem it was fixed, R channel is imported 4x instead of all 4 channels.

Hi demostenes,

I'm afraid we can't reproduce this problem with your previous sample with the latest beta2 SDK.
Could you, please, send us your problematic sample?

Also, what SDK version do you use?

Hi demostenes,

I'm afraid we can't reproduce this problem with your previous sample with the latest beta2 SDK.

Could you, please, send us your problematic sample?

Also, what SDK version do you use?

Latest beta2. I can send you sample.