Jagged FPS

photo

Almost immediately after launching start jerking performance (see screenshots)

Disabling effects or objects in the scene does not affect. In the system there is no extraneous processes.

System:

Windows 7

CPU AMD Phenom II X4 965

GPU ASUS ENGT220 1Gb DDR 2

Need emergency help..

post-61-0-33169400-1291886352_thumb.png

post-61-0-45836100-1291886371_thumb.png

post-61-0-66144600-1291886384_thumb.png

This machine is used as a server, editor does not load, render app - null

As you are using null renderer and due to some kind of regular interval fps spike pattern I wouldn't expect application rendering/processing as main problem cause. I would guess that might be some hidden windows system activities causing you fps spikes.

Best freeware tool for tracking down these issues

Sysinternals Process Monitor

I would propose to have a special look on hidden filesystem activities (e.g. windows event log writes) correlating to your fps spikes to identify possible blocking operations of other hidden processes.

Another quick-tip for problem tracing would be to physically disconnect all server network connections. We realized much higher frame spikes when network is connected. Of course not a problem solution, but maybe a good indication for a windows system related cause of fps spikes.

BTW I assume that you DO NOT have an active virus/malware scanner/firewall on your machine as this for sure could cause all kind of system frame rate instabilities (at least based on our experiences)

Thank you all for your advice. But we can no longer test on that system - it has already been sent ... On the one machine in the office appears similar symptoms - will deal with it.

Some rendering operations are performed every Nth frame instead of each one, so that's ok.

Unfortunately it is not OK. When this machine is used as server perfomance jag described above caused jerks in object motion on client machines. Even when object moves with constant velocity. It makes a bad impression.

Unfortunately it is not OK. When this machine is used as server perfomance jag described above caused jerks in object motion on client machines. Even when object moves with constant velocity. It makes a bad impression.

We had an issue with ObjectWaterMesh causing something very similar to what you are describing. We got to the bottom of the problem by moving the camera around to see where in the scene we were experiencing slowdowns then by enabling disabling nodes until the problem went away. Not sure if anything has been done about ObjectWaterMesh in the interum.