[SOLVED] Passing array to member function causes error, but to global function is OK

photo

I can pass an array to a global C++ function, from the example given in the topic:

int arrayOfInts[] = ( 0, 1 );
    int i = 0;
    my_array_vector_set( arrayOfInts, i, string(i) );

no problem.

However, doing essentially the same call, but to a method of a C++ class gives an error:

ArrayPassingClass passingTest = new ArrayPassingClass();
    passingTest.my_array_vector_set2(  arrayOfInts, i, string(i)  );

gives "Interpreter::parse_expression(): arrays can't be used in expressions"

In C++:

class ArrayPassingClass
    {
    public:

// 2.1. Declare a class constructor that will be exported into Unigine script.   
        ArrayPassingClass() { }
        ~ArrayPassingClass() { }

void my_array_vector_set2(const Variable &id,int index,const Variable &v) {
            ArrayVector vector = ArrayVector::get( Interpreter::get(), id);
            vector.set(index,v);
            }

};

void my_array_vector_set(const Variable &id,int index,const Variable &v) {
    ArrayVector vector = ArrayVector::get( Interpreter::get(), id);
    vector.set(index,v);
    }

ExternClass<ArrayPassingClass> *my_arrayPassingClass = MakeExternClass<ArrayPassingClass>();
    my_arrayPassingClass->addConstructor();
    my_arrayPassingClass->addFunction( "my_array_vector_set2", &ArrayPassingClass::my_array_vector_set2 );
    Interpreter::addExternClass("ArrayPassingClass", my_arrayPassingClass );

Interpreter::addExternFunction("my_array_vector_set",MakeExternFunction(&my_array_vector_set,"[]"));

Do things need to be done differently when calling a member function?

or, is this a bug?

If so, does it have a work-around?

Please add array declaration string into the addFunction() call:

my_arrayPassingClass->addFunction( "my_array_vector_set2", &ArrayPassingClass::my_array_vector_set2, "[]," );

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, that worked.

I could not find any documentation that would have pointed me to that solution.

It looks like the C++ reference manual documentaion is lacking for the ExternClass addFunction method for member functions.

It appears similar to the Interpreter::addExternFunction / MakeExternFunction type of call combination.

The documentation for that just says "const char * args - Default arguments."

I infer from that that the "[]" I needed to add simply provides an empty array if the argument is missing. It's not very clear, to say the least, that it is actually mandatory to supply a default argument when an array is to be passed. I actully do not at all wish a default argument to be supplied if it's accidentally left off, so this appears counterproductive as well as counterintuitive.

Are there arguments besides the Unigine containers that require a hint like that?

• 3 weeks later...