[SOLVED] Option to force bone update

photo

We often have problems with bones not updating unless they are in the view frustrum.  eg we attach cameras to bones for animated cameras.

Could a tick box be put in the smesh playback panel in the editor, that forces the bones to update, whether they are in view or not.

Thanks

Steve, in case you are using WorldTransformBone for camera-to-bone attachment simply use WorldTransformBone::setRadius(<some large radius value>) to force bone update outside view frustum

Thanks Ulf, but setting the WorldTransformBone radius really high doesnt work either.  i set it to 20000 and then inf, but bone wont move unless im closer to it or in view.

Ill upload a bone then just strap a WorldTransformBone to it and a camera.  Then when you are at the origin try to press play in the editor mesh tab bone dialog.  

So top-level element is some ObjectMeshSkinned with bones ? Just guessing, but if so one problem might be that smaller boundig box of ObjectMeshSkinned will be used for frustum check instead of lower-level WorldTransformBone + radius value. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a method for on Node/Object/ObjectMesh... for explicit bounding box definition. Small test scene should allow faster UNIGINE crew testing       

Hi Steve,

Could you please provide simple step-by-step instruction how to reproduce such issue? What SDK version are you currently using?

If I add your smesh to the world and attach WorldTransformBone with Camera to it I can get animation working even if Editor Camera is far away (55000 units) from smesh object.

Please, check a test scene (unzip files into <SDK>/data directory and open test.world in the Editor) and modify it if something done wrong. You can also change the editor camera position and check animation playback.

Thanks!

reproduce_1.jpg

test.zip

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Ok thanks that makes sense of the problem.  The problem is that if the Worlds object render distance is not high enough then the bone will not play.

So to reproduce it in the test you sent, set world view distance to 3000 and then focus on fort 1.  Then play, even with a very high radius on the WorldTransformBone the mesh doesnt play.

Since I think on big scenes we keep the draw distance quite low, around 3000m, often bones that need to stay in sync, that are outside that distance, freeze up.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Silent,

Im still constantly having problems with bones not updating when they are not in view.  We have tried that update function, but seems like its not working.  Also, i have turned my object distance to 50000, but still bones are not updating when not in frame.

A checkbox on the bone playback would be ideal.

• 4 months later...

hi Silent. 

I have the same issue with objectmeshdynamic.  when the skin mesh not in viewport the animation will stop.

i tryied the addupdatenode , its not working. i guess its only for the logic not for rendering.

please check the engineer for this issue. its critical for us.

Hello snow_zhangy,

I'm afraid, for any advices a test scene is needed, because we can't reproduce such behavior.
It would be very helpful if you can send us a test scene with addUpdateNode function and the object causing the issue.

Thanks!

Hi Yang!

First of all, you need to call engine.world.addUpdateNode every frame in order to get your node updated even outside viewport. Also, if you're using WorldTransformBone with your skinned mesh it's better to force update that node too.