[SOLVED] lots of objects in dummy node

photo

Imagine situation, when you have several thousands objects/instances in the scene. Everything is OK. Once you make for examle dummy node and put these objects under this dummy node, then navigation in nodes windows becames 50x slower. You click on object and wait 10 seconds instead of absolutely instant action before.

We use many many Nodes and have noticed it gets very very slow to navigate through the node list. Sometimes it can take between 1-5 seconds after clicking a node before it actually does anything.  Some performance increases for large amounts of nodes in the list would be very good.

I use WorldCluster when I know there will be hundreds/thousands of nodes in the node list.

Then I can collapse WorldClusters as I am not working on them. I set up WorldCluster per object type (Eg Cluster for Vegetation-Trees, Cluster for Vegetation-Shrubs, Cluster for Parked Cars etc)

This is what WorldCluster was initially conceived from, the need to optimized large node lists in the world file (I think)

Hope this helps.

There is no problem, when I have for example 6 thousand nodes in the root. Speed is perfect. But when I add only one level (for example lets say this 6k nodes will by city and I move this 6k nodes into some dummy node), speed is terrible (10 seconds of waiting after click on object). Having it in cluster does not solve the problem, because u still need to work with nodes (positioning, other tuning...).

Jiri,

Yep, the policy is to use clutters or clusters for a huge number of objects, just like Nat mentioned.By the way, with Clusters you can position each node, so what exactly you mean by "still need to work with nodes (positioning, other tuning...)." is not clear.

Anyway, that kind of difference between root and children nodes is strange, we'll check it for a bug.

Jiri,

Yep, the policy is to use clutters or clusters for a huge number of objects, just like Nat mentioned.

Anyway, that kind of difference between root and children nodes is strange, we'll check it for a bug.

Even in the case, that 6k instances means for example 1000 of unique objects? I have on my mind city, not forest with few kinds of trees. Is there any advantage other then ability to hide some nodes by collapsing cluster (I can do this by using dummy node too)?

Great, thanks.

Is there any advantage other then ability to hide some nodes by collapsing cluster (I can do this by using dummy node too)?

If it had been just as easy as collapsing a node under a node dummy, then there'd never have been any performance problems - at all.

When Clutter is used, objects outside the specified radius around the camera simply does not exist in the world. Hence, the spatial tree is smaller, BSP calculation is faster. Optimized spatial tree -> less time for checking intersections and world shadows calculations -> faster rendered frame -> profit!

If it had been just as easy as collapsing a node under a node dummy, then there'd never have been any performance problems - at all.

When Clutter is used, objects outside the specified radius around the camera simply does not exist in the world. Hence, the spatial tree is smaller, BSP calculation is faster. Optimized spatial tree -> less time for checking intersections and world shadows calculations -> faster rendered frame -> profit!

Ok, so it makes sense to put in clutter even city, with thousands of unique meshes?

It needs to be tested since it all depends on the details of the projects (how many instances of objects there will be, are they big, are they efficiently divided into surfaces, what is the scope of visibility, the relief, etc). Without seeing it, we can only say that yes, clutters can be beneficial.