[SOLVED] Terrain coarse normalmap stepping issue/artefacts

photo

all terrain vertices in ObjectTerrain have their normal set to (0,0,1) - "up" direction, just the same as a plane with 0 height. That means that Unigine-generated normal vectors are in world-space rather than in object tangent space. It can happen that WM normals are in object space that could result in different lighting on seams, so importing normal map should at least be done with normal re-convertion.

Also there is a minor shader bug multiplying detail map normals that I've already sent to frustum by e-mail. I can post fixed shader here but it would be better just to wait for upcoming SDK update with this issue fixed.

Even if I would output a normal map with the Y direction flipped in WM2 I would get more detail, its not just that the shading is different but the Unigine normalmap just lacks details and is more blurry

and on top of that I get the stepping

Normal map import is ready. Diffuse/Normal/Mask images has optional vertical flip. You can import height/diffuse/normal images from WorldMachine to Unigine directly.

Thats great news! Thanks!

• 6 months later...
Maybe the reason of such moire patterns is that you use a 16-bit precision height map instead of the 32-bit one? This way instead of getting smooth gradient you'll get gradation steps.

AFAIK Unigine is not able to import 32bit height map.