OpenXR - Quest 3 - Passthrough/Mixed Reality

photo

Heya everyone!

We're currently trying to come up with a quick proof of concept using Unigine and an Oculus Quest 3 to implement passthrough (and chroma keying in a second step).
We've seen that Unigine 2.19 now partially supports OpenXR. Do you know how far in the future can we expect to see passthrough functions and such in the API?

If needs be and support isn't planned to arrive in the coming months, we're willing to roll our own but I'm not sure where to start. Do you have any resources to point me to as for implementing video passthrough?

Have a good day lads and thanks,
Axel

Edited by axel.goris

Hi Axel,

OpenXR currently in the very early stage of development, only basic functionality is implemented.

Quest3 passthrough mode is not a standard OpenXR feature and requires additional work to implement from the engine side. There are a lot of custom Meta extensions that are currently not supported.

I'm afraid, also that there is currently no way to extend OpenXR functionality from the outside, since the VR support is now built-in directly into the engine sources, but not in a plugins as it was prior to DX12 / VK era.

I think that the best option would be to contact Elizaveta (I've send contacts via PM) in order to discuss a possibility of prioritizing development of missing features from OpenXR in the nearest updates. That would be the fastest and most efficient way.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hey Silent,

Alright, thanks a lot!
We'll probably just get our hands on a Varjo then, easiest way to implement all of this stuff :)
I'll check with the rest of the team but thanks a lot!

Have a great day!
Axel 

• Like 1