Artifacts on lightmap when using the Lightmapper Tool

photo

Hi All - Happy New Year! 

I'm working on a new archviz project and am using the lightmapper tool for all my baked lighting. Upon finishing the bake, there are areas notably towards the bottom of interior panels that show lightmapping artifacts? Is this usual behaviour? If not, how can I ensure a clean lightmaping bake? 

For context, I am merging my model by material on import - where these interior panels show noticeable artifacts when viewing the lightmap with the debugger. I have manually unwrapped a second UV channel for all material groups, so there shouldnt be any overlapping UV shells or anything. This also happens when auto-unwrapping on import too! 

Here are a few screenshots of the baked lightmap debugger where I have pointed out some of the problem areas. 

Many thanks, 

Ben

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

Hi Ben,

Which SDK version are you currently using?

Is it possible to get your current scene for additional testing? For doing that you can export your current loaded .world into a separate *.upackage by clicking right mouse button on it in asset browser and selecting upackage export option.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @silent

Thanks for getting back to me - I am using the latest 2.18 release. 

I re-baked the lightmap and for some reason the second bake was a lot cleaner - really not sure what was going on there. However I have noticed another issue with lightmapping. For some reason, lightmapped surfaces seem to visually remove my bevels / smoothing groups from my mesh? Find below some screenshots, one with voxel probe where we can see smooth bevels, and one lightmapped where it seems the bevels are'nt there. 

Screenshot_8.thumb.png.71fdddd1c61b980282b1d1adc7b5c982.png

Above - Voxel probes - you can see the mesh's bevels

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.a2085fc93eb959fd9bf83cbdcc46812c.png

Above - Lightmapped - no smooth corners all sharp.

Is this expected behaviour with lightmapped surfaces? Or is there anything that I maybe be doing wrong?

Many thanks, 

Ben

Hi Ben,

Is it SSBevel effect that you are using in the scene, or is it an imported .fbx model with completed geometry?

Also, we still can't reproduce the issue with lightmapping artifacts so far, so if you upload your .world we could try to solve both issues.

Is it possible to get your current scene for additional testing? For doing that you can export your current loaded .world into a separate *.upackage by clicking right mouse button on it in asset browser and selecting upackage export option.

Thanks!