[2.16.1] Editor is crashing on startup

photo

Hi all,

I've been trying to load the Unigine editor (2.16.1) with some old content made in 2.6.1 and it keeps crashing on startup.

When loading it in debug mode to get more information, I found the call-stack of where it crashes exactly image.png.b8545a646f727594e434851a8a4038f7.png

It seems that it's trying to load a non-existant thumbnail?

The guid at the line pointed by the green arrow is always guid://4ead25919e699e8cee293bb91aceeaee9211d783. And the guid 2 lines above is guid://.

Any ideas of what is causing this?

Hi Karim,

There is a very little chance that such operation will work as expected. 2.6.x version is very old and probably incompatible with the newest asset pipeline.

Try to upgrade you content using the SDK Browser first (2.6 -> 2.7, 2.7->2.8 and so on until the 2.16.x) and only then launch Editor. If that doesn't help, I'm afraid you would need to find out manually which file (or files) inside data is causing this behavior and remove them before the Editor startup.

We can also assist with debugging, but in order to do so, we would require access to the mentioned project files (from 2.6.1). This will allow us to copy them and run the Editor on our test machines in order to replicate the crash. After that, we can see if there are any workarounds available that we can suggest to you.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi silent,

We never really use the .project files and load them into the SDK browser. We always handle the content of the data_path manually and make batch files to launch the editor.

Is there anyway we could check the "integrity" of the data and try to fix it without the SDK browser?

Thanks

It turns out that the guid 4ead25919e699e8cee293bb91aceeaee9211d783 is mentioned in the brushes imported from editor2.ung. example : editor2\brushes\defaults\circle_hard.brush : 

<brush_material version="2.16.1.0" guid="fb0b9a81b22e31ec90b7845ba15fedfee4ef3d45" base_material="4ead25919e699e8cee293bb91aceeaee9211d783">

Where can I find this base material?

You can run manual upgrade via upgrade.usc tool: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/latest/upgrade/migration_content/?rlang=cpp#manual_upgrade

However, there is no guarantee that such old content will work as expected.

Base material for LandscapeTerrain brushes is located here: <Project>\data\editor2\brushes\brush.basebrush

---

Thank you for this tool.

I just realized that the issue happens not because of content that is not migrated, but because of our implementation of "world load". When I load a world just by opening the .world file in the editor, the issue does not occur.

We have added some commands that load the world and do other stuff, I'm sure the issue is happening in this "other stuff" :)

I will try to find out where does the issue come from and will keep you up to date.

Thanks

Ok, I found the issue. At some point, when loading the world, the command `filesystem_reload` is called. It seems that the editor cannot reload the brush.basebrush from editor2 data.

• Thanks 1

Hi Karim,

That's very interesting :)

Editor itself checks all the files that are added or removed within the data directory or mounts, so there is no need to do it manually. So, I'm not really sure if you still need to manually call the `filesystem_reload` in your case.

I have also attempted to replicate this behavior when the base material does not load after the `filesystem_reload` command, but I have not been successful in reproducing it. If it is crucial for you, could you please provide us with a more detailed step-by-step guide on how to reproduce this error?

Thanks!

---