I spent a week with Unigine

photo

So I took out a week specifically to work on unigine and learn the basics of the software. Not being a developer or coder myself I can only judge it as a content creator ,however I have seen some of the very best stuff in Unigine working flawlessly.

I dont  mean any disrespect to the developers ,Ive been seeing some great new features rolling out in the past 2 updates and the work they have put in is amazing

BUT there are few little things as a beginner Unigine user I would have appreciated maybe these are "just my preferences" built up from using other softwares like blender ,c4d or little bit of UE and houdini and Im probably being very picky. I apologize if I sound like Im disrespecting the creators:

1: "low level" demo files . Even if you upload the files from your introduction to Unigine series on youtube it would be great to study the files and revisit them. But I guess this sort of stuff is more in the realm of community based tutorials and they will only come with time .

2: I personally find the UI a bit cluttered . I guess as developers/coder all of your users are pretty used to the bare bones UI setups but in my humble opinion if the content creator are really to  adopt this software it needs a little glowup 

3: I would like to see a physical (visible) camera object and as soon as i click out of the camera it should not disappear. Maybe unigine does have that option and I havent found it yet. Sometimes in certain projects when I move the camera close to the ground or any object It looks like theres a light attached to the camera because it illuminates the surfaces in its  proximity, I dont know what that  is.

4: I do not at all understand or maybe just haven't yet been able to figure out the tracker window. Its weird. I haven't been able to bring an object into the tracker window to keyframe its values and why isnt it just like a normal timeline like other softwares.

5: In Unigine's defense im still using a  GTX card ,but I have been able to render 4k images without a hiccup from UE ,as i can only take screengrabs right now because i havent been able to figure out tracker rendering a sequence requires a tracker .even so I cannot take a screenshot over a 1000*1000 pixels .The software crashes if I do so, saying image is too large.

6: I would like an undo option in the material editor. also the drop down search in material editor could have submenus collecting similar nodes together. As a beginner its hard to find what i need not knowing the terminology on a new software.

I would again like to focus on the point that I did not mean to dunk on the software of the developers . This is just my bumpy experience as a new user with almost no community based tutorials to look out for and It does get a bit frustrating when learning a new software and building muscle memory. My experience has mostly been good ,I just found some things weird so I thought to post them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

anurag

Thanks for the feedback, it is quite useful.

Some of the Editor systems still require a facelift, such as Tracker (and some of the UI widgets as well). However, such changes can't be made quickly.

Material Graph improvements are also on our to-do list for future updates.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Sorry missed this , 

Thank you for replying.

Looking forward to seeing those. In the meantime, I've just proceeded to ask all the stupid questions I have on the forum. I thought someone had to , I took one for the team.

I hope the mods don't get tired of answering them LOL.

Thanks

• Like 2