Object import settings - Front Axis can´t be set to Z or -Z

photo

Hello,

I had a quick look at Unigine 2.17.0.1 and noticed that new objects can´t be imported with the Front Axis set to Z.
I can set the Front and Up Axis to x simultanously, but I can´t set the Front Axis to Z or -Z. It will remain greyed out. I also can´t edit the .meta file by hand to get the desired result, because it will automatically reset the Up and Front Axis if it reimports fhe file. So there is no way to set the Front Axis to Z or -Z.

It makes no difference if the Asset is imported with "Import New Asset" or the import settings of an already imported object should be changed.

Edit: SDK 2.17.0.1 and Windows

With kind regards

Edited by ShadowZelda

Hello!

The current behavior is primarily a UI bug and it is not functioning properly at the moment. The intention was to convey information within the editor UI that if the imported model already has the Z-axis set to look UP it cannot be simultaneously adjusted to look FRONT along the Z-axis. In other words - it's not possible to have both UP and FRONT orientations aligned along the Z-axis at the same time on import stage.

We will address this issue in the following SDK update to make it look more informative and obvious.

Thanks!

@bmyagkov

Hi,
Thanks for the quick answer.
So just to clarify: If I export my model with Y Forward und Z Up, I can´t import the model with Z Forward and Y Up? Is this really expected behaviour?
If Yes: Does this also apply to assets, which were imported in 2.16 and are migrated to 2.17?
If No: When can we suspect this behviour to be fixed?

And in addition: If I export the model with Y Forward and Z Up, I can set both the Front and Up Axis to X. I would guess this isn´t intended.

ImportSettings.JPG

Edited by ShadowZelda

@ShadowZeldaThank you for providing more details on the actual behavior. We are currently looking into the issue. Can you confirm that in the previous release of SDK 2.16.1 everything worked as expected and you were able to set Z Forward and Y Up for axis during the import stage?

Thanks!

@bmyagkov Yes, I can confirm that it was possible to export an object with Y Forward and Z Up and import it Unigine SDK 2.16.1 with Z Forward and Y Up.
You just had to set the Front Axis from Y to X, then change the Up Axis from Z to Y and finally set the Front Axis from X to Z.

You can test it with the attached object in both SDK versions.

This is no longer possible in Unigine SDk 2.17.0.1 since the Front Axis can only be set to X or Y and the Up Axis to Z or X in this case. Editing the .meta file with an Text Editor won´t change the result.

TestFile.mtl TestFile.obj

6 minutes ago, ShadowZelda said:

This is no longer possible in Unigine SDk 2.17.0.1 since the Front Axis can only be set to X or Y and the Up Axis to Z or X in this case. Editing the .meta file with an Text Editor won´t change the result.

We can confirm that this is not the expected behavior and we have already forwarded it to our QA department for a thorough investigation. I will update you with information as soon as we receive any feedback most likely at the beginning of next week as the current one already comes to an end.

It appears that the problem was not discovered earlier because the scenario where the forward axis is assigned to Z is quite uncommon. Just to clarify was there any specific reason for preparing the models in this manner?

Thanks!

Thank you and thanks for the information! :)

At the moment we are using the same export preset for simplicity (regardless of the target application). So importing them with Z Forward and Y Up in Unigine gets us the right neutral position.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2023 at 5:41 PM, ShadowZelda said:

Thank you and thanks for the information! :)

At the moment we are using the same export preset for simplicity (regardless of the target application). So importing them with Z Forward and Y Up in Unigine gets us the right neutral position.

Hello!

We have identified the issue but have not yet initiated the investigation to fix it. It is highly probable that the fix will be included in the upcoming update scheduled for release in the coming months.

Could you please let us know how crucial this problem is for you at the moment? Additionally, do you have any specific deadlines we should be aware of?

Thanks!

On 7/31/2023 at 1:50 PM, bmyagkov said:

Hello!

We have identified the issue but have not yet initiated the investigation to fix it. It is highly probable that the fix will be included in the upcoming update scheduled for release in the coming months.

Could you please let us know how crucial this problem is for you at the moment? Additionally, do you have any specific deadlines we should be aware of?

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for the information!
I have found a workaround for this problem (import it with wrong axis, close the editor, edit the axis via text editor, reopen the editor). So it isn´t crucial for the moment. But we would be glad if it could be fixed with the upcoming update, because this workaround can be annoying over time :)

Thanks and kind regards!

Edited by ShadowZelda
  • Like 1