Editor/Core 2.2.2 Shadow Map resolution presets

photo

Hi,

where are the resolutions for the sunlight shadows defined?

For an old project - UNIGINE 2.2.2 -  I want to go beyond the 4096 shadow map resolution but in the .world file the resolution is defined "6". I guess thats the 4096 as the editor displays that.

Want to use 8192.

Thx.

Werner

Edited by werner.poetzelberger
  • werner.poetzelberger changed the title to Editor/Core 2.2.2 Shadow Map resolution presets

Hello!

Want to use 8192.

Unfortunately, according to the documentation, the shadow resolution was limited to 4096 at that time. For more information, please see the following link: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.2.1/api/library/lights/class.light?rlang=cpp#setShadowResolution_int_void.

It is highly unlikely that the restriction can be overcome without making modifications to the source code.

Thanks!

Yes. I want to modify the core.
We already have an unpacked core with this project.

Can you pls tell me where these assignments are defined.

Thx.

Werner

46 minutes ago, werner.poetzelberger said:

Yes. I want to modify the core.
We already have an unpacked core with this project.

Can you pls tell me where these assignments are defined.

Thx.

Werner

Werner, the truth is that simply editing the core would not suffice. Furthermore, the core itself does not possess the necessary settings since all the available resolutions are hardcoded. To introduce alternative options, one would need to modify the engine sources and rebuild binaries which is nearly impossible this days.

Back then, this approach was adopted for safety reasons. Utilizing 4K for shadow maps equates to an 8K resolution (because of cascades) and only a few video adapters could handle such a size due to insufficient VRAM at the time. So, basically you are asking for 16K at the moment.

Thanks!

okay okay.

I always think of easy solutions :))... But programming  an engine is more difficult which I forget sometimes...

Na, no problem. I can come around that maybe with the Cascade settings or I leave it like that.

I was asking, because one day there was some equal thing, which was a simple hackk in one of the core files... something with clouds or so....

Thanksss a lot.

Werner

• Like 1