Stable and performant video recording?

photo

Hi,

We'd like to record the content of a single Unigine VR window as a video file, or at least as numbered images, while the user has the helmet on. But I'm concerned about overall performance.

• Our app runs at an irregular frame rate, from 30 to 60fps, but the video should be around 25fps, stable of course. How can we manage that if the app itself has to do the recording?
  • I thought about using some external tools (VLC, OBS), but I don't want to include any occluding windows or the cursor, so I guess our app has to do the recording itself?
  • Ideally, I'd like to record the frames without the FPS counter or the Visualizer, while still keeping them active during recording (not a critical issue if this is impossible to achieve)

Do you have any idea, insight, suggestion, sample to help on this subject?

Thanks!

Hi Stephane,

The very best solution to my opinion is using OBS. This will save you from tinkering with custom C++ engine plugins in a endless attempt to add the whole new set of modern video codecs (and encoders).

OBS works very reliably with decent performance and also have an option to skip cursor capturing :) Output video options are highly customizable and even if you have GPU bottleneck you still have an option to adjust some of the encoder parameters (reducing the output video quality).

Since you are talking about VR you probably have CPU bottleneck and you can safely use OBS GPU encoder (NVENC H.264) and CQ P preset with quality level 26-27 safely. But, of course, that's need to be tested first :)

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

OBS is indeed in my humble opinion the way to go (tested a lot of solutions and it's the less intrusive and with no or very little impact on performance, at least for classic capture, not tested on VR setup)

• Thanks 1