Sandworm Coordinate Systems

photo

I am bit a nub in all that georeferenced data worlds.

Overwhelmed by all the parameters.

What kind of coordinates systems do I use if: 

I downloaded a data set from : https://portal.opentopography.org/rasterOutput?jobId=rt1666864397808

This is the given Coorinates:

Horizontal Coordinates: North American Datum 1983  (NAD83) [EPSG: 4269]
Vertical Coordinates: NAVD88 [EPSG: 5703]

What do I use in Sandworm, what do I use as projetced coodinate system?

It seems that ESPG 3395 does work better. 4326 also works which funny enough I get from the file?
Hmmm.
I have to learn.

Sry for spamming, but what is the correct approach?

Thx.

Werner

Edited by werner.poetzelberger

ouch, this will be difficult to summarize but lest's try.

first the data you downloaded from  your source is actually usgs data hence it's in NAD83 datum widely used in US and canada, which is not same as the WGS84 one used by other geographic coordinat systems (gps or other, ie if you get data from some Esri rest server you'll get data in geo wgs84 (epsg:4326).)

Anyway, sandworm generates only projected/flat terrain in landscape mode, so it's better work in a suitable projection for you geographic area. If you're targeting any area in the US, I advise you maybe try a suitable State Plane Coordinnate System, in you're case, Nevada east, espg 32107, conveniently planar units are meter, ellipsoid is grs80 which differs a tiny bit from wgs84 but i guess you don't care. 

Ideally it's better to reproject all the data, but normally, but if you set your projection in sandworm project first, and output in the same projection add your data (here you have geographic data, unprojected to make it simple), under the hood GDAL will reproject all your layers trough sandworm.

If that helps,

Romain