Water decal limitations

photo

Hi,

I'm struggling with water decal to simulate some real world fx:

1. heavy oil leaks around a boat, blackening the sea
  2. sea local temperature change visible in IR

For 1/, I tried to use water decals, but the decal color can only lighten the sea color. How could I turn it really dark locally?

For 2/, I tried using decals too with post_sensor, but water decal don't support Aux buffer. Why such a limitation?

I guess for 2/ I could use the albedo channel instead of aux, but again 1/ would be limiting me to hot local water (white) when I need cold local water (black).

Thanks!

Hi Stephane,

Yes, WaterDecal material is quite heavy and some of the features were cut off from it to prevent even further performance issues.

For #1 there is a research require on how to add multiple blending modes to the existing material (that more likely will result in rewriting the half of the material itself).

For #2 I can't say atm how hard would it be to implement this, but in the current code base aux pass is force-skipped from water decals (and I think that's due to some serious reason).

The long story short: yes these limitations are exists and we can't quickly remove them. I will create research tickets regarding this for future SDK updates (2.17 and up).

If that's quite urgent thing I would recommend to contact Elizaveta directly and discuss a possibility for custom per project solution.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi silent, I understand there are currently some strong limitations. But I can insist that we'll need soon (early next year) these features (black oil on sea, and thermal sensor for sea, with visible back wakes over gray sea). I think 2.17 is a correct time frame. Thanks for pushing this!

Stephane