Impostors not loading at runtime

photo

Hi All, 

Not sure if anyone has had or knows how to solve this behaviour. But in the editor window my vegetation impostor objects get loaded pretty quickly - however when testing the scene in runtime no impostors load

1. Is there a solution so that impostors can load quickly at runtime? 

2. Is there a way by adjusting streaming settings (or whatever applicable) to cache loaded objects? I notice when panning the camera quickly you can see noticeable pop in, sometimes when looking back at something loaded previously sometimes it needs to reload. 

Attached are screenshots in runtime vs in the editor with the performance profiler on. Notice the lack of far impostors in runtime. Its only a small scene 2km x 2km and the max visibility distance is only 200m or so for impostors. Tried different step sizes both the default step the impostor created for me (120) and same step as the mesh clutter the impostors were generated from (15). 

fbb9daa0086e63f9611a339958f5de9.thumb.png.37d59ffa4604fbdb01a67337658b316f.png

3713926a464d182e8db0cdf94785445.thumb.png.772e08dd743983970ec9f1d0a3e4ce2e.png

Many thanks, 

Ben

Hi Ben,

Could you please clarify if impostor not shown at all, or it takes too much time for them to load? If impostors actually missing from scene at runtime, it can be caused by Visibility Distance settings or global Distance Scale parameter, if any of these settings modified at runtime. If it takes too much time for impostors to spawn, it can be caused by not optimal landscape streaming settings.

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply - Ive been testing at it seems the impostors do load, but VERY slowly. Which specific settings in the landscape streaming section would aide in loading time here? I increased the GPU cache size which fixes issues I had with pop-in / pop-out. For now I just want to run on my local hardware and have 12GB of video memory.

Many thanks, 

Ben

You can try and follow our guide on configuring landscape streaming for common cases. If that optimization won't fix slow appearing of impostors, there might be some scene-specific bug, if that so, we'll need some test scene for reproduction, or detailed description of impostors& landscape parameters

Okay, I understand - will check the landscape streaming parameters. Is the streaming sections of the settings important to adjust too? 

In terms of impostors, is it better to have a higher step size or lower step size? At present the impostors which take long to load have a step of 120 and subdivision of 8. 

Many thanks, 

Ben

Of course streaming section might be affecting, but from what i know about your case, my best guess that loading landscape height and then intersecting impostors with it takes most of the time. 

Step settings for impostors may be differ depending on the type of scene and typical camera movement in specific use case. You can check out additional info and some tips on setting correct step size in our article on grass object

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...