Weather effects on community edition (Linux)

photo

Hi, I'm trying to get weather effects on community edition (Linux).

Weather effects, including wind affecting objects, rain, fog, lightning, and snow

... the goal is to achieve something like it's being presented in Valley benchmark application. Btw, is this application project sources available somewhere?

I'm just new to the engine, and have seen the samples and played around with them, but could not find how to achieve such effects. What I am missing here? It's just available programatically, or there are nodes to use directly on the editor? Can't find it tough...

Please advise...

Thanks!

Hi @carlos.vieira,

Creating these atmospheric effects is ultimately an artistic task and available via UnigineEditor unless you need some interaction or complex, smooth transition. The Valley sources are not available, but the SDK provides a couple of samples. Let me break down the typical ways to create such effects:

1. Raindrops and snowfall effects are similar and usually simulated using Particle Systems. Check out the particles_rain_effect world of the Art Samples demo (the art_samples > particles > particles_rain_effect world) showcasing a rain effect, you can open it in the Editor and see how it is made. For optimization purposes, this sample controls attachment of the particle systems to the camera via scripting to spawn raindrops only in some local area around the player.
    Spoiler

rain.gifsnowfall.gif

2. Lightning can be simulated in many ways; the most common approach is an emissive billboard or a mesh depending on the required level of quality. To emulate randomly occuring lightning strikes, you can configure a random Period for billboard-based particles and use a Texture Atlas containing different lightning images.
    A more complex solution, including shaders and programming, may be required to simulate how highly-detailed lightning affects the scene lighting.
    Spoiler

lightning.gif

3. To simulate fog, take a look at the Environment Haze settings. This feature is great for enriching the scene with mist and dense fog with support for height-dependent density.
  4. The Wind is a rather compound effect; there are no global wind settings for everything in a project world. I would break the wind effect into the following components:
    1. Vegetation animation. There are several approaches to animate plants affected by wind requiring certain adjustments when modeling geometry. Check out these tutorials:
    2. Physical wind affecting physical objects and particles with mass.

3. Dust and small flying props can also be made via Particle Systems.

4. Storm at water and movement of clouds is done in the settings of these objects and their materials.

5. More complex effects like water droplets and streaks on the camera lens, splashes in puddles, screen frost, and windshield wiper effect require shader coding and provided in the Weather Add-on available starting with the Engineering SDK (Windows only).

I guess this is pretty much it, hope it helps.

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2