confusion about configuration file

photo

Hi all,

I just started getting familiar with the Unigine programming environment.

I'm a little confused about the configuration file.

When I start Unigine (bin/main_x64) it starts with loading a world. I think because it finds some configuration file unigine.cfg.

Now I do not want to start with loading a world. I want to create my own and start with an empty state so that I understand what is going on.

But when I create an empty cfg file and specify the path to it when running main_x64.exe it says:

Engine::init(): can't initialize filesystem

So what should be minimal in this cfg file?

How can I start Unigine in an empty state?

Thanks.

• Like 1

"Engine::init(): can't initialize filesystem" error suggests that you didn't specify all start-up options required to run the engine - data_path.

Besides start-up options, there is also a number of other settings that control basically everything in Unigine: starting from rendering to physics and pathfinding. For example, they define if rendering with low, middle or high quality of shaders and textures will be performed. They also set if physics should be multi-threaded, et cetera. All these settings are stored in the configuration file (when you launch the app, they are overridden with CLI options if necessary and are automatically stored when you quit the application to be restored on the next startup).

You can create an "empty" app very simple:

1. Create an empty data/unigine.cfg. (After running the app once, the engine will automatically write all required data into it).
  2. Create a launcher that does not specify the world to load and sets your empty cfg file, for example:

set PATH=../bin;../lib;%PATH%
main_x86 -video_app direct3d10 -sound_app openal -data_path ../ -system_script core/unigine.cpp
-engine_config ../data/unigine.cfg -video_mode -1 -video_width 1024 -video_height 768 -video_multisample 0
-video_fullscreen 0

• Like 1