Mipmap visualizer question

photo

I find some aspects of the mipmap visualizer confusing.

I assigned all textures in a material to dds files without mipmaps. As per the documentation, mipmaps will not be autogenerated and hence I'd expect the visualizer to show a constant (red)color on the said surface. But the visualizer shows mip level switching when I move the camera. So, is mipmapping really getting used?

Essentially, does the visualizer show *potential* mipmap levels, or actual mipmap levels that are being used?

Couldn't find much in the documentation about this.

Thanks in advance,

Ashwin.

The visualizer shows calculated mipmap levels based on surface texture coordinate assignments and pixel distance. Actual texture mipmap availability is not visualized.

Thanks ulf! That clears it up.

Wish someone updated the documentation to make this less confusing.

Also, it'd be nice to get a validation error (e.g.) if there's a referenced texture that doesn't have mipmaps.

Thank you, Ulf, for shedding the light so promptly :)

Wish someone updated the documentation to make this less confusing.

Fixed.

Also, it'd be nice to get a validation error (e.g.) if there's a referenced texture that doesn't have mipmaps.

You can easily customize data/core/editor/editor_validator.h and add this functionality by using getNumMipmaps().

And one more thing, the visualizer doesn't show mip levels for terrain textures. Is this by design?

ObjectTerrain manages its textures by itself, that is why for the render manager it's a black magic box - it has no information on terrain per-surface textures. But the principle is the same: if the loaded terrain textures contain mipmap levels, they will be used in real-time; otherwise, they are not used.